Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #1

Lens adapter?

Hi. I have an old Pentax K1000. I bought a Pentax K-X with the intent of using my older lens's with the new camera. However after purchasing my K-X (which I love) I realize that the lens's are aftermarket JCPenny. The lens's do fit on the Pentax K-X but not properly. Is there a universal adapter available that might solve my problem?

11-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What version is the lens mount on the jcpenny lens? If it's not pentax k, you will indeed need an adapter- maybe post a pocture of the back of the lens?

On a side note, I'm not sure how usable a manual lens that requires an adapter would be.
11-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Here is a (rather "classical") situation where one should excersize some care. While your K-x is backward compatible with all genuine PENTAX k-mount lenses, you cannot assume that this will always be the case with third party after-market K-mount lenses of that time.

It would be very helpful, if you could post a detailed picture of the mount on your JCPenny lens. There may well be a flange that is a bit to long or similar for the crippled KAF-mount, while it fits the older Pentax cameres of the era in which this lens was produced.

So, image(s) please....
11-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi. Sorry for the late response. Adam, thank you for your response. Stone, while your response seemed a little...pointed or condescending, I appreciate your help as well. Here are a couple photos. Let me know what you think. Thanks again!!!! Name:  IMGP5221.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  IMGP5222.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  46.0 KB

ps. As i look at these pics it seems I have a couple dirt spots showing up. How do I get rid of those?

11-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

No adapter will help.

The photos show no oversize protective flange, just the aperture flag, and it looks about normal. I don't see why you would have a 'fit' problem.

Ah, but the photos also show that this Samyang-made lens is KR-mount, and may have the infamous Ricoh pin. Or maybe just the Ricoh nub, no bother. If it is the Ricoh pin, the problem would be REMOVING the lens, not MOUNTING it. Can you describe your mounting problem in more detail?

Those spots on the image indicate the need for a sensor cleaning. I heartily endorse the Official Pentax Imagesensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1. It costs less than one pro cleaning, is good for zillions of uses, and it's what Pentax recommends.
11-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It also looks a completely normal (fully manual) Pentax/Rioch lens to me. As far as I can see there is no "A" setting on this lens. Right??

If you use the lens in manual mode, does it stop down as it should? (Given that my assumption that this is a purely manual lens holds).
11-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shrntate Quote
Stone, while your response seemed a little...pointed or condescending, I appreciate your help as well.
PS.: Terribly sorry for that - that was definitely not the intent! English isn't my native language so, there may be an explanition here.....

11-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
It also looks a completely normal (fully manual) Pentax/Rioch lens to me. As far as I can see there is no "A" setting on this lens. Right??
The KR means it's Pentax-Ricoh and has an A(P) or P setting on the aperture ring. At least, all my Korean-made KR lenses have been such.
11-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The KR means it's Pentax-Ricoh and has an A(P) or P setting on the aperture ring. At least, all my Korean-made KR lenses have been such.
You are probably right. In that case, there would be a "P" to be seen on the aperture ring wouldn't there? Or do the Korean after-market lenses differ in that respect?

Hin's Tech Corner: Ricoh Pin and Ricoh R/K mount
11-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks Rio Rico...The mounting problems include: lens fitting on camera but not wanting to come off, and not able to see through the lens when on the camera.
11-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #11

Original Poster
No problem Stone. I appreciate your input very much. It's all good.
11-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #12

Original Poster
It fits, but doesn't want to come off. I think that is your question?
11-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shrntate Quote
It fits, but doesn't want to come off. I think that is your question?
That might well indicate the Ricoh pin issue; RioRicoh already pointed to that in post #5. Do a search for Ricoh pin, lens stuck on camera and similar. You will find posts how to remove the lens in those situations as well as doing some surgery on the lens to prevent it in future.
11-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

To explain a little further, there is a pin on some ricoh lenses that was uses on some ricoh cameras to provide automatic aperture. These lenses worked fine on pentax cameras of the era as they were not auto focus. With auto focus cameras, the ricoh pin gets stuck in the hole for the auto focus drive (which of course didn't exists on the non auto focus cameras of the time). The solution is to remove the pin from the lens. The lens will be fully functional with out it (the pin was only of use on some ricoh film cameras).
01-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #15

Original Poster
Sorry for delayed response. I was out of town for the holidays. Ripit...will the lens still work on my old K1000 after "surgery" ?