Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #1

nikon?

Ok so my daughter wants to get into digital slr but wants a Nikon , i have a k10 just wanted to know what is close to this in the Nikon line have seen a few used local a d80 and a few d70s . What should i pay for these .

Thanks
John

11-17-2011, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

I'm a beginner in dslr's mate and I was looking at either the D3000 or D3100 as they have a guide mode which is supposedly quite useful for novices. Why not talk her into getting a k-r or a k-x? You could then share lenses which makes more sense financially.
11-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
nikon

Hey we are dealing with a very independant teenager here i failed to say that and she has done her research , i thought the same thing as well sharing lenses and such and she will most likely get better at the whole picture thing and teach me a trick or two, just wondering if the Nikon has anti shake and the whole dust removal system offered by Pentax.

regards
John
11-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a friend who bought a used Nikon D90 for his daughter. She really likes it. I have not used it myself. He said he looked at the Nikon 3100 or 5100 as good beginners cameras. But wanted something more professional...

I would not care to talk her into a Pentax. Assuming that she is probably young, her friends probably have a Nikon. She probably wants the same. Nothing wrong with that.

11-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

@mrpromod

Nikon's got no anti-shake in the body, nor does it have screw drive AF below the D7000. You can buy her a used D90 (2ndhand, got screwdrive AF), or D5100 (bnew, no screwdrive AF), although they're not equivalents to K10D in performance (some more advanced, some no, but you can't get a weathersealed Nikon at entry-level price).
11-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikon D90 body only for $710 at Camera Deals
11-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by olliedell Quote
I'm a beginner in dslr's mate and I was looking at either the D3000 or D3100 as they have a guide mode which is supposedly quite useful for novices. Why not talk her into getting a k-r or a k-x? You could then share lenses which makes more sense financially.
Just so you know, my sister has a D3000 and I played with the guide mode and you could skim the manual in 5 minutes and have a better understanding of photography than using/learning from the guide mode. Its more/less a gimmick.
11-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by claimed4all Quote
Just so you know, my sister has a D3000 and I played with the guide mode and you could skim the manual in 5 minutes and have a better understanding of photography than using/learning from the guide mode. Its more/less a gimmick.
Agreed. I've peeked at a friend's D3000 and it doesn't look like a beneficial feature. In fact it probably makes matters worse, as people relying on it don't learn the usual methods of figuring out their exposures and settings.

The other point to consider about cheaper (read as <$1200) Nikon bodies is the inability to meter with manual lenses. I really think Nikon only gimps this because they can, but it would be a dealbreaker for me.

11-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The D3100 would be an appropriate starter camera:
Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm NIKKOR VR 25472 B&H

But if you compare it to the K-r, I'd say it would win, unless of course she's already invested in other Nikon gear.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'd buy her a Kr regardless ! Let her cut her teeth on it (and your lenses) and then when she is ready let her choose to stay with Pentax or get a better Nikon than a starter camera if that is what she wants. The Kr can be as simple as you need or as professional as you want (people shoot Weddings with them FGS) !
11-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

She wants a Nikon, give here a Nikon. Don't force a Pentax on her unless you want to end up using it

Which Nikon? I don't know; for me Nikon is synonymous with either D90 or FF I think what you need to determine is how she intends to use it. As a P&S? Or indeed as a dSLR?
11-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrpromod Quote
Ok so my daughter wants to get into digital slr but wants a Nikon , i have a k10 just wanted to know what is close to this in the Nikon line have seen a few used local a d80 and a few d70s . What should i pay for these .

Thanks
John
To get an idea of what used equipment sells for, look on eBay. Easiest way is to search for the camera under "completed listings". These are ones that have already been sold, so you can see what most people end up paying. From a quick search for the Nikon D70s, it looks like between $150 to $180 for the body only.
11-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KEH sells the D70 for around $200, the D80 for around $400, the D90 for around $600 and the D200 for around $550. I find it amazing that they are able to sell the D200 (equivalent to a K10D) for more than they get for a K20D.
11-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
She wants a Nikon, give here a Nikon. Don't force a Pentax on her unless you want to end up using it
The first step would be to educate her on the shortcomings of entry level Nikons, and how much more can be done with the equivalent Pentax models. Most people that decide they want a certain brand, initially do so because they heard so and so has one, or someone invested in a system told them it was the only way, etc. There's often little rational thought involved, and more information is the answer to that.
11-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Buy YOURSELF a K-r or K-x using the excuse of a '2nd body', then let her borrow it. You aren't breaking her wish for a Nikon, and you are allowing her to see the benefits of SR and dust removal and manual lens metering in a far less expensive body than a Nikon equvalent.

Might work..