Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #1

Metz 58 Flash AF-2 Help

Does anyone know why image stabilization is turned off in wireless mode and is it possible to turn off the flash on the k-5 and make only the wireless flash flash? It works in slave but both flashes flash. Thanks!

11-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andyph666 Quote
Does anyone know why image stabilization is turned off in wireless mode...
I don't know the technicality of it; but that doesn't matter. I consider it a limitation of Pentax DSLRs.

QuoteOriginally posted by andyph666 Quote
is it possible to turn off the flash on the k-5 and make only the wireless flash flash?
No. The remote (slave) flash needs this strobe of the control/master flash to fire its main strobe. If you turn off this strobe, how does the remote flash know when to fire?
11-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The problem is that all the manufacturers refer to wireless flash control and we always think of that as radio, not optical.
11-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
The problem is that all the manufacturers refer to wireless flash control and we always think of that as radio, not optical.
Hahaha....

I once listed a "Pentax Auto Extension Tube Set K" (official name from Pentax literature) on FleaBay. One guy wrote me a nasty message, accusing me of "false advertising" because the extension tube set did not support auto-focus!

11-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually, I was being serious generally because of people thinking of wireless internet and wi-fi.

However, I do like your example of the Auto Extension tube set. I would tend to think that it would automatically 'extend' when needed!!
11-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image stabilazation is to be turned off if the camera is mounted on a tripod thus it is default then triggered wireless.
If your built-in flash is set to work as controller only, only the external wireless flash will be used for lightening the exposure.
11-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FlashGordon Quote
If your built-in flash is set to work as controller only, only the external wireless flash will be used for lightening the exposure.
If by "will be used for lightening the exposure" you mean "will fire," it's wrong.

The built-in flash (or the flash attached to the camera's hotshoe) does fire during exposure, whether it's a controller or a master. If it's set up as a controller, it still fires, but with reduced power. Depending on your application, the reduction of power may or may not be sufficient (so that the light from the controller is not noticeable in the photo).

This issue has been discussed many many times. See this thread and this thread for examples.
11-20-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

A radio trigger will solve both problems, but will create a new one - loss of pTTL function. IMO it's no great loss.