Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-x hesitating when I push the shutter button

Hey, I've had my K-x for about 2 years and it's been pretty rock solid until the last couple of weeks.
I've been experiencing significant lag between pressing the shutter button and the camera firing. A first I thought it must just be Catch In Focus being enabled, but I disabled that and the issues continued. I also suspected something to do with SR but I shot with it off on a tripod last night and saw the problem. The amount of lag time is 5 seconds or more but isn't consistent. Sometimes it fires right away.

This happens with multiple lenses: da15, da40, Tamron 28-75, M 100 macro, 8mm Rokinon FE, etc.

It's kind of intermittent but seems to be getting worse. I'm hoping it's not the eminent demise of my K-x.

When I push the shutter half way, the screen or AF responds quickly (no lag).

It happens with AF on or off, SR on or off, and I have confirmed catch in focus is disabled. Not sure what else to try. Anyone?

Thanks!

11-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would start by doing a master settings reset. If the problem persists, it might be hardware related.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Sounds like it is getting ready to give up the ghost.
Time for a K5. Send the Kx in for a repair and use it as a backup.
11-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Try the sanity check first: Make sure that the timer is turned off. I don't say this to be insulting...I've been in the same boat.

11-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter

There have been some reports of the button acting a little flaky after awhile, this has been mostly related with taking two or more exposures with a single button press but it might be related. The shutter button on mine started acting up, it took a wiggle or extra hard press to actuate. Read a thread here about the issue. The recommended fix is to turn the camera off and then firmly exercise the shutter button multiple times. Worked for mine, no problems for over a month. YMMV
11-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Do you shoot in very cold places? This might sound farfetched, but it could also be the batteries, or something to do with the power (or the mirror?) or the shutter mechanism. Best to try Adam's suggestion first - master reset.
11-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
There have been some reports of the button acting a little flaky after awhile, this has been mostly related with taking two or more exposures with a single button press but it might be related. The shutter button on mine started acting up, it took a wiggle or extra hard press to actuate. Read a thread here about the issue. The recommended fix is to turn the camera off and then firmly exercise the shutter button multiple times. Worked for mine, no problems for over a month. YMMV
Thanks for all the responses. I've been pretty busy so I haven't tried everything, but I suspect this ^^ may be the issue. It seems to be acting that way.

Alizarine, I do shoot in cold places quite a bit and have a lot over the past couple of years without a lot of problems. My battery meter was showing green or yellow when I last had this issue.

It seems improved but not 100% better now. I'm hoping I'll have some time over the holiday weekend for pinpoint it more.
11-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
and I have confirmed catch in focus is disabled
Until you said it, this would've been my guess...

Mayhap the K-x just needs a good clean?

11-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Until you said it, this would've been my guess...

Mayhap the K-x just needs a good clean?
Yes, I thought so too. I even turned it on and back off just on case something wasn't taking.
Is there any reasonable way to get to the insides of the shutter button to give it a proper cleaning?

I take apart a lot of electronics for repairs (computers, phones, mp3 players, etc) so I've done similar things before. Just not on a precision optical device.
11-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Is there any reasonable way to get to the insides of the shutter button to give it a proper cleaning?
My K-x is out of warranty too (at just short of 7000 actuations) but I'd still take it to a camera repair guy (not necessarily back to pentax) rather than open it up myself...

Hope you get it sorted... Sounds frustrating!!
11-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I see. The problem does seem more mechanical than electronic, based from your descriptions. It happened to me once before (pressed only once but it fired twice), I was in a seminar and the blower of the air-conditioning unit was directed towards me so I thought it was the power. I wouldn't recommend taking it apart yourself though, (especially if it's still under warranty) as that may worsen the problem...
11-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's way out of warranty, but I hear you on opening it up. It doesn't look trivial but I thought I'd ask just in case it was. I'll figure something out.
11-23-2011, 02:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This should sort it out, fixed mine after an unfortunate incident involving a stage, a dj, a drunken fool and a can of redbull...

Contact Cleaner : Electronics Cleaners : Maplin Electronics
11-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Whoop, double post.