Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #1

istDL

CAN ANYONE HELP. I inserted new lithium batteries into my istDL and the battery symbol constantly flashes. Also, nothing works on the camera yet when i insert my old, almost depleted Alkaline batteries all the cameras functions and displays are there !! The expiry date on the new lithium is 2025. I have used lithiums in the camera regularly without any problem until tonight. Any advice would be appreciated.

11-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no experience with lithium batteries in my istD, but can highly recommend Sanyo Eneloop (or Rayovac equiv) rechargeables. Sorry I can't be of more help!
11-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

There's been quite a few posts on ist DL battery 'issues' - I've owned two of 'em that ONLY worked reliably on Eneloop batteries - nothing else! Although, once in a while, I'd get one of the DLs to work with Duracell Alkalines.

So, I'd suggest you get the Eneloops and forget trying to use anything else.
11-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The voltage delivered by lithium's is higher than that of rechargeables- so maybe your camera's sensor/electronics are busted. Try it with rechargeables and hopefully it work- if not, there's always a K-r waiting for you

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Being an *ist DL owner I kow your problem. My camera only accepts rechargeable NiMH cells - and yes, I recommend Eneloops too. I could never have my DL accept Energizer litiums and saw the same flashing battery icon as you do.

(I believe you are talking about non-recahrgeable lithiums as it is stated explicitly in the manual that rechargeable lithium cells will not work).

It may interest you that there is a very plausible explaniation AND a possible remedy. See Mangusta's messages in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/13335-ist-dl-batteries-3.html
11-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
A friend of mine has the ist DL and regularly uses the Energizer lithium batteries... I'll have to tell him to stop. But, the times I've borrowed his camera, I would have the same problem if I used his lithiums. I generally stuck with my rechargeables. But, if the batteries were not working for whatever reason, I'd pull them out and stick them back in in a different arrangement. That generally did the trick!
11-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I use Duracells both regular and recharables. For some reason my DL doesn't seem to like energizers. It eats them. The only time I have had an battery issue. I had a set of energizers in I got about 10 shots on a new set and the low battery light came on. I tried another set from a new package with the same results. So I stick with the coppertops
11-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Surely you don't get enoough shots on Duracell alkalines to be worth the cost? You'd get the better part of 1000 shots per charge on Eneloops. Two sets in rotation would last years, for a total cost of around $20.

11-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
Many thanks to all that have given me advice. I did try substituting one lithium for alkaline and all was OK, I then put all the lithiums back in and the camera worked fine. I will invest in the Eneloops as per your proposal and as well as saving money..........hopefully the problem wont arise again. And thanks Stone.G, I read Mangustas thread and it was very interesting although a little too techy for my old brain...........I think i will dream about an upgrade to the K5..............some day.
11-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter

The regular duracells will give me a couple hundred shots but I usually only use them while the rechargeable charge. I also don't use the flash much that helps The rechargeable Duracell were 10 bucks and are a couple years old still working fine.
I am just a hobbyist. So I only shoot between 100 and 300 shots a month.
The Duracell's are the only ones that my Dl will work on for any length of time. I haven't tried Eneloops tho I have tried energizer's and they don't last nearly as long as regular duracell's in my particular DL for some reason.I usually only have to recharge the rechargable duracell's every 3 or 4 months depending