Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Been there done that but too late to help. I know the feeling of panic. I had to unscrew my bellows mount and found enough room between the bellows and the camera to use a string to slowly unscrew the bellows.

11-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
good idea excanonfd! do i need one that focuses to infinity?
The non infinity type would be better because it would lock on to the body.
11-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Been there done that but too late to help. I know the feeling of panic. I had to unscrew my bellows mount and found enough room between the bellows and the camera to use a string to slowly unscrew the bellows.
Omg... a string to unscrew the bellows? Eeeps... That sounds like major engineering!

Talk about panic!!!
11-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Okey doke, and it shouldn't really matter about the infinity anyway, since chances are I'd be taking photos less than a metre away, right?

11-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Yeah, definitely go for the non-infinity one, that is what I use on my macro lens. The infinity adapter without the clip will not lock onto the mount and there is a chance it could come unmounted. I'd imagine if you had the bellows rail mounted to a tripod and had the camera at a certain angle it could easily turn and unmount from the bellows if it is not locked. The non-infinity one is also cheaper for some reason.
11-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok thanks for the supporting comments elliot! *trots off to ebay*

gosh, don'tcha just hate it when you *have* to go and buy something??
11-19-2011, 05:43 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I had the same thought. Since the bellows is being used for macro, and very few worry about infinity focus the flanged adaptor was mybfirst thought
11-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Only if you are using your bellows to shoot at infinity. (In other words, no) :-)

11-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Only if you are using your bellows to shoot at infinity. (In other words, no) :-)
Oh, I use my bellows at infinity -- with enlarger-projector-copy-process lenses longer than 80mm. (A couple odd 60's work too.) There may be very rare occasions when I'll need a narrow-flange clone adapter on tubes (or no tubes!) for a shorter lens. I may mount an EL-Nikkor 50/4 that way for close fixed-focus, but not the EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 because its rear element protrudes too far.

But generally with bellows and/or tubes, it's the cheap safe wide-flange NIF (no infinity focus) adapter that does the job, locking onto the lens mount and being easily manipulated. Don't leave home without one.
11-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

No because unless you have a true bellows lens you won't have infinity focus any way. Also the bellows can probably go back beyond infinity by the 0.8mm needed for the flanged adaptor. The nice thing is it has a slot for the lens locking pin
11-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Forgot to mention the following.

I found what I thought was a Tmount for the K bayonet that screwed onto the M42 thread of the bellows. The Tmount does not lock onto the camera. I use my 100mm bellows macro which gives OK results.

I found that using my sigma 70mm macro and a taleconverter I got much better results at the maximum macro of the sigma lens.
11-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Oh, I use my bellows at infinity -- with enlarger-projector-copy-process lenses longer than 80mm. (A couple odd 60's work too.) There may be very rare occasions when I'll need a narrow-flange clone adapter on tubes (or no tubes!) for a shorter lens. I may mount an EL-Nikkor 50/4 that way for close fixed-focus, but not the EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 because its rear element protrudes too far.

But generally with bellows and/or tubes, it's the cheap safe wide-flange NIF (no infinity focus) adapter that does the job, locking onto the lens mount and being easily manipulated. Don't leave home without one.
Actually I have used my bellows for infinity shooting too, but it didn't sound as snappy. I have a 135mm lens head lacking a focus helix that works quite well as a bellows lens. Was disappointed I couldn't make a 63mm enlarger lens work at infinity, too much extension, but it takes nice close-ups.
11-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I use my bellows a little at infinity with a 135 mm enlarger lens. Otherwise I am always close focused. My bellows was an old Miranda unit with the 4 point bayonet that can be mounted at right angles. I took the screw adaptor off the opposite side and epoxied a flanged adaptor to it. It works great and the bayonet can be disengaged from the enlarger if you are clumsy or have the bellows tripod mounted and want vertical format
11-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Actually I have used my bellows for infinity shooting too, but it didn't sound as snappy. I have a 135mm lens head lacking a focus helix that works quite well as a bellows lens. Was disappointed I couldn't make a 63mm enlarger lens work at infinity, too much extension, but it takes nice close-ups.
I have a Steinheil 135/4.5 I'd like to decapitate for bellows usage, but I just can't get the head off. Oh bother. I have a couple copy lenses in the mid-60s that can't reach infinity now, but a little birdie tells me that Santa will bring me an M42 focusing helicoid for Xmas -- so my lenses between 60-80mm will be able to see further.

The 60mm I use on bellows now is, shall we say, a bit odd. Not quite as weird as the Projection Optics 76/1.6 that needs some surgery just to fit into any mount. No, the Schneider PC-Cinelux AV 60/2.8 is a PC (perspective control ie shift) lens. I cut away its body a bit and glued on a section of cheap PK macro tube, and it mounts on my PK bellows and focuses to infinity quite nicely. The lens was designed to be used in multi-slide-projector presentations, with all the projector lenses PC'd for nice image dissolves. The optics make it nice for portraiture.

Have we gotten far enough away from the topic yet?
11-21-2011, 03:04 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Have we gotten far enough away from the topic yet?

I don't mind. It's always fascinating to hear everyone's comments and advice. And things always get so interesting and I always end up learning lots. You're still talking bellows if that helps?