Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #1

k200d

hi , i have just been given a k200d , i dont know anything about taking pics besides point and click , i have taken quite a few pics of my kids and and general views around where i live , in all i would say i am happy with the camara , but it does seem a bit too clever for me , also the kit lens 18-55mm does not seem up to the job , can any one give me a few tips on how to get the best out of the camara and recommend a more powerfull lens , sorry to come across as ignorant, ,, i have read a lot of reviews of this camara and i know i have a quite a decent pice of kit , .. thank you for any help ,, tom

11-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations! You have been given a very fine camera, but you are apparent completely new to DSLR photography. So, first thing for you would be to make up your mind: Are you seriously interested in "more" than point-and-shoot photography?

If so, (boring advice, I know) you will have to download the manual. It can be downloaded from where you found the reviews and here you can read a bit about what this camera can do for you and how it may do that.

Again assuming you are quite new to this, maybe should also first of all read at least one "beginners guide to DSLR" to see what this is all about - and whether it is something for you.
11-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

You can download the manual here in .PDF format - save it to your desktop, so that it will be handy for reference and you can search for key words / terms easily.Also, Amazon has a couple of books on the K200D. Read the customer reviews to see which one appeals to you. These are suppose to be a bit better than just the Pentax manual. The Pentax manual tells you how to do something, but not why you might want to do it. That is the big difference between what Pentax provides and these books give you.The Magic Lantern book is suppose to be good, however the reviews indicate that the Busch book may be more complete. I have neither, so I really can't pass on a recommendation.

QuoteQuote:
also the kit lens 18-55mm does not seem up to the job
Also, could you expand on what you mean about the 18-55 lens not being up to the job? Its a very capable lens, however it does have some limitations. If you are shooting in a very dark area, you are going to have to pop up the flash. Also, it may hunt in dark areas in order to try to autofocus. If this is a problem, you need to turn switch on the side of the lens mount to MF - for manual focus and then manual focus the lens. If you are expecting to pull the scene that you are shooting in closer, you will be limited to the 55mm focal length, and then a telephoto lens like the 50-200 or 55 to 300 lens would be in order.

There is a whole thread on the 18-55 lens in terms of images from it....
Also, its been said that folks that migrate from just a point and shoot to a dSLR essentially have their initial images go down hill. Basically, they say that the pictures from the P&S were better. It takes a bit of time and practice to get familiar with the new camera. Even in the Green mode, its a bit different than just pointing and shooting. So most have made the transition, it just practice and some more practice....

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-19-2011 at 10:00 PM.
11-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #4

K200d

I am jealous! I have a K100d and a Kx, and very truthfully, I think I would rather have a K200 than the Kx.. Yeah, I know all the technical advantages the Kx might offer over the K200, but the larger body just feels better to me.

11-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

wsteffey, I know what you mean. I have a k200D and had a friend who had a k-x. When I tried out his k-x I loved the high ISO capability, but the body felt more like one of the cheap cannon models than my k200D (which feels very solid for a lower-end camera). It was at that moment I decided that I would rather wait for the k-5 to come down in price (like ~$400) than try the k-x.

With that said, I just got the da40 limited lens. I like it so far (have not had a huge amount of time to play with it). It also makes the camera fairly small (which I like).
11-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote
wsteffey, I know what you mean. I have a k200D and had a friend who had a k-x. When I tried out his k-x I loved the high ISO capability, but the body felt more like one of the cheap cannon models than my k200D (which feels very solid for a lower-end camera). It was at that moment I decided that I would rather wait for the k-5 to come down in price (like ~$400) than try the k-x.

With that said, I just got the da40 limited lens. I like it so far (have not had a huge amount of time to play with it). It also makes the camera fairly small (which I like).
*so jealous* I want this lens so badly, but everytime it comes up on the marketplace, I miss it.
12-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It would help if you defined what you mean by "more powerful lens". Do you mean, a large zoom range, larger maximum aperture, higher sharpness at large apertures, macro facility, etc? The 18-55 was designed as a compromise between all of these concerns that would come in reasonable small/light and inexpensive. improving any one of those attributes generally comes at the expense of the others, so you have to be specific about what you want your lens to do that the 18-55 cannot, and what you are willing to give up to get it.