Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Screwmount Tak and infinity focus promblem

I finally got a genuine Pentax m42 adapter so I can use my Super-Tak 50 1.4. It's Super-cool and all beat up, but I noticed it won't focus to infinity. It's sharp till about 20 feet. Anyone ever have this problem? I'm not afraid of diy lens repair, if that's an option.

11-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hm... is should have focus to inf 100%. Something wrong with "genuine" adaptor or lens was before repaired...
Needed photos of lens
11-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
I finally got a genuine Pentax m42 adapter so I can use my Super-Tak 50 1.4. It's Super-cool and all beat up, but I noticed it won't focus to infinity. It's sharp till about 20 feet. Anyone ever have this problem? I'm not afraid of diy lens repair, if that's an option.

The genuine Pentax adapter, and its clones, fits entirely inside the lens mount opening of the camera. K-mount and M42 lenses have the same registration distance.

Is there a flange that extends outside the camera body opening? If so, then what you have is definitely NOT a genuine adapter. As gedasst points out, a genuine adapter will allow infinity focus. If yours is a genuine adapter, and it is mounted properly, then there is something wrong with the lens.

Can you post pictures of the adapter mounted in the camera? Pictures of the lens mount?
11-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the adapter is genuine Pentax it should not be the problem. Check to see that the adapter when mounted on the camera without a lens is flush or even slightly sunk below the camera mount plate. If it is then the adapter is not the problem.

Check to see if the lens seats tightly and smoothly to the camera mount plate. There should be no gap between the lens and the camera mount plate. If this is correct then the mount is fine.

The other possible option is that the lens may no longer be in infinity focus adjustment. All Takumars that I have worked with allow adjustment for infinity focus. There are usually three small screws that need to be loosened to allow the adjustment. It is fiddly and trial and error to get right but not really difficult. I have had to do this on two of mine to get them correct. Search for "Takumar infinity focus" and you will find several articles about how to do this. There is at least one good tutorial out there as well, I'd post the link but I'm not sure that is allowed as it is not on this site.

11-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Also note that sometimes infinity focus is achieved before the infinity focus mark, that could be the problem.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread has the steps you'd take to readjust infinity focus for that lens. Photos are not of the exact same model but they should be close enough.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/158434-need-he...mechanism.html
11-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies! Yes, it is a genuine adapter that sits flush, it was installed properly, and I checked to see that the lens was fully seated. I can't post a photo, because that is the only cam I have right now. I'm guessing it is a lens issue, as it is pretty beat up and probably hasn't been used since computers had doors, not windows. I will check out those articles on adjusting infinity focus, sounds like it's time to tinker....