Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks guys (: I'm still new and still figuring out this expensive hobby that I got into hehe, I still don't know the photography jargons, so sometimes I'm like o.o mmmm... But I'm getting there hehehe

@DaveHolmes Sir what do you mean by "torch"? and do you have any suggestion for a good wireless shutter release that will work with my k-r? a link would be much appreciated (:

@careboy do you have any suggestions? or will a wireless shutter work? thanks (:

@mattt like I said I'm still very new at this (: what is the advantage of using a filter? thanks (: and ohh how are you liking your DA 12-24? I'm planning to get a new lens and I'm still researching what to get, I might get a 10 - 20 any input would be nice.

11-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ND = neutral density. ND8 is ~ 3 stops worth of filter. it permits you to slick water (smoke/steam), and in the instance of the photo I posted, it allowed the exposure duration to be long enough that the truck could drive through the whole frame ( the little red light that crosses the bottom of the frame). In short it gives the ability to make the long exposure longer for what ever reason you might need.

12-24 is an amazing lens... it is awesome for video too.
11-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

It can be difficult to do good long exposures on windy nights, because the camera on a tripod still moves enough to affect the sharpness, so no wind is best.

Other problem is internal lens glare which I think is the cause of the brighter region in the sky above or besides the edge of brightly lit building. Glare can be reduced by using a simple prime lens rather than a more complex zoom lens, due to the lower number of lens elements and interfaces in most prime lens designs.

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 11-23-2011 at 08:32 PM.
11-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
@DaveHolmes Sir what do you mean by "torch"? and do you have any suggestion for a good wireless shutter release that will work with my k-r? a link would be much appreciated (:
Rechargeable Spotlight Torch 5 Million Candle 1 x 4Ah | Screwfix.com I have a slightly smaller version and a maglite + much smaller torches with 'gels' taped to them (google 'flash gels')...

Remote Control for Pentax K-x k7 K20D K100D K200D K110D | eBay I bought 2 of these for my K-x... The second lives in my sock drawer still packaged... I imagine there're better ones available... Search 'pentax remote' on ebay I guess...

11-24-2011, 05:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Sir what do you mean by "torch"?
Torch is the English word for flashlight.
11-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Torch is the English word for flashlight.
Or Flashlight is the American word for Torch.........
11-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! (: I ordered my stuff online, I can't wait for them to come in. (Annddd oooooooooooooooohhhh torches now I get it )

@DaveHolmes I'm just wondering what the "gel" "flash gel" is for? thanks (:
11-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

@DaveHolmes I'm just wondering what the "gel" "flash gel" is for? thanks (:
Plastic sheets, thin like paper, coloured and cut to fit a flashhead... Some (CTO, CTB, CTG) are used to 'correct' light under specific conditions... Others are for purely creative purpose...

NB: CTO = Colour Temperature Orange (please note the correct spelling of the word 'colour' and see below)

A lot of this stuff you can find out about with a simple google search... But check out David Hobby's 'Strobist' blog for lighting ting and ting...

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Or Flashlight is the American word for Torch.........
Yeah... What did you yanks do to my beautiful language?!

11-25-2011, 01:55 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Yeah... What did you yanks do to my beautiful language?!
I tell you mate, it's cultural bastardisation (not "bastardization").

Wait 'til you see what they're done to the date format!

DDMMYY, or the more logical and sortable YYMMDD, but MMDDYY? Yuck!

Dan.
11-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
I tell you mate, it's cultural bastardisation (not "bastardization").

Wait 'til you see what they're done to the date format!
I's not *my* fault. I dated a Brit gal, learned how to spell, and write numbers and dates, and think metric, and all that sort of thing. Too bad she didn't brush her teeth enough.
03-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #26

shutter release pentax k-r

Hi there
I can't fine a shutter release pentax k-r.
I saw u had looked for one at one point of time...
Any luck?
Please help ... anybody?
03-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you're looking for a shutter release cable, then it's a lost cost. the K-r won't be able to use it. But we can use the wireless remote shutter. That's what I use. I got it @ ebay for cheap. Let me know if you have anymore questions (:
03-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #28

kaiserz Thanks for ur respond... please kindly help me with what kind of wireless remote I can get that will allow me to do pause or slow shutter release? Were u able to capture long exposure night photograp successfully after all? I am totally new at this help me pls?
Thanks
03-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi, I don't really know what you mean by "pause" or "slow shutter release". because as far as I know, you want to avoid having a camera with a slow shutter release or "shutter lag".

As far as "long exposure with the K-r" yes I'm able to do that with the cheap Ebay china remote for pentax. I use the remote on "Bulb" mode for long exposures going over 30 secs. (You can also do that w/o the remote, but the remote will help you greatly in having sharp images because it can help eliminate camera shake by not directly touching the shutter. )

Here's an example WARNING FILE IS BIG http://www.deviantart.com/download/281394481/drink_magic_by_silentmood-d4nj9dd.jpg this was exposed approx 2mins. I used the remote here.

Also what are you planning to do? and what do you need to achieve. Good luck.
03-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xfloggingkylex Quote
Lots of trial and error though, cant imagine doing it with film.
I always used the "Jiffy Exposure Calculator", a somewhat antique thingie which my parents had. It works pretty well & while not every shot is great, I've had some really nice ones. You just can't shoot a ton of pix on film; have to take a little more care with the initial setup so you don't waste frames.
Just for fun I googled the Jiffy calculator & was delighted to find there's still a version around online (and I'm sure there are many other similar night exposure guidelines). This one works -- I usually add half a stop for reciprocity. Dunno how that translates to digital.
http://www.stacken.kth.se/~maxz/files/jiffy.pdf