Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why are people afraid of fast lenses and their shallow DOF wide open??!

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 all shot at f/1.4-

Less than 2meters away-

About 1 meter away-

Less than 1 meter away-

Dont be afraid of fast lenses people!

11-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
And don't be afraid of flash. Those are really nice pictures, but if you want two people in the photo, only one can be in focus. Plus, in low light, you'll probably be working with shutter speeds around 1/30s and it's a mess when someone moves. The best portrait I've ever shot was in candlelight at f/1.4, but flash is far more reliable in dim light. It's like the endless prime vs zoom debate. There's no right answer all the time.
11-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 all shot at f/1.4-

And now some running around kids please Nothing wrong with shallow DOF and static subjects For me, moving subjects @1.4 will more than likely be 99% luck if I get it right

I mentioned CIF, somebody else continuous shooting, so there might be ways to work around the limitations of shallow DOF for moving subjects; just have never tried them.

Nice photos, by the way
11-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your thoughts... Like I said lots for me to learn and I'm learning fast. What I like about the responses is the very different philosophies that people are using to get their pictures in these conditions and using a variety of solutions lens/flash/tripod and differing cost options. Even better, it opens up mulitple avenues for how to generate the photo. By the way, I'm still laughing about being caught out on just adding a lamp...

Abacus was right I did mean the 35's...

Tougefc, nice pics. This was what I liked about the Sigma 1.4 by the way. When I look at the shots that people are posting with that lens in quite a range of indoor conditions, they seem to be catching them in a way that I find pleasing. Not sure what it is... I'll put it down to the photographer.

Dave many thanks for the recommendation on how to test the conditions to figure out what solution will work best. Will definitely try that... I appreciate you walking me through how to do it because being fairly new to trying to work with my camera versus the autopilot owning me, I really didn't know how to or what to look for exactly. I have a much better idea now and should be able to actually do it, which is even better!

Definitely, will be looking for a flash as it is a no-brainer long term for shooting in a variety of conditions. That being said, I will still often want to shoot without it. Will do a little bit of the testing to see where I'm at over the next few days at f4 and get back to you all. Thanks again.

11-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eric,
I own both the FA 35mm F/2.0 and the DA 35mm F/2.4 and of the two I actually prefer the DA. I've found it's actually a bit faster than F/2.4, maybe closer to F/2.2. I'm not the only one who has made this observation. I've found that AF is a tad faster on the DA, and it is definitely light and portable. But don't take my word alone, check out this review.
franks take on the DA 35mm
frank is a highly regarded member of this site, I've been busy so I haven't been around much myself, so I don't know if he's been posting much but his photos speak for themselves.

NaCl(if you have a choice between the DA 35mm F/2.4 and the FA 35mm F/2.0 go for the DA)H2O
11-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #21

Original Poster
Just took a few pics of objects to see the numbers in my rather dark room and turned flash off as per Dave's suggestion.. Did some scanning from different positions and focused in to see the numbers.

Zoom set to 30mm. F4. I set auto ISO and allowed it to float to the max range to 12800 and it sure likes that number in this room... The shutter speed wanted to shift depending on parts of the room between 1/40 and 1/50. Really dark places were lower than 1/40. Haven't set the wee one loose to test any pics but I think you get a good idea. The kit lens is able to autofocus on set objects. Not sure about moving ones as the kids are sleeping.

Will ultimately put another lamp in the room, but living pretty far North (54.5 degrees North), many months of the year are disproportionately dark and so are many interiors. Whatever will work here will also work well in twilight and early morning too outdoors.