Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photography exercise book?

I've been looking at the photo challenges we have here on pentax forums and was wondering if there is a Photography workbook or exercise book that I could buy that would have set photography exercises that I can do.

Is there a technical book that has an accompanying workbook? (kinda like a chemistry textbook and its Lab workbook)

11-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own this book. This book has a lot of projects etc but is written poorly and is not very inspiring but can get the job done:
Amazon.com: 150 Projects to Strengthen Your Photography Skills: Essential Techniques, Exercises, and Projects for Aspiring Photographers (Aspire Series) (9780764144707): John Easterby: Books

This book is better written but I remember flipping through it at the book store but have not used it:
Amazon.com: 50 Photo Projects - Ideas to Kickstart Your Photography (9780715329764): Lee Frost: Books

Neither of them has exactly what you are looking for.
11-21-2011, 05:49 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Neither of them has exactly what you are looking for.
Anything helps and at least its a start in the right direction. From those two suggestion there, I'm now trolling amazon and UkBookdepositry for similar items.

Thanks.
11-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by MagusAku Quote
Anything helps and at least its a start in the right direction. From those two suggestion there, I'm now trolling amazon and UkBookdepositry for similar items.

Thanks.
Honestly you should be able to find challenges and themes online with a little digging. Even check out non-pentax forums to get an idea of what to do. My friends and I are doing a "26 things" challenge for the month where we are slowly collecting everything on this list like a scavenger hunt. It was easy at first with a large list but really makes you think when you get the easy ones done.

sh1ft.org projects

11-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what exactly are you looking for.

If I was to interpret your requests directly, you are looking for a book with specific excercizes that lead you step by step, through one particular subject / condition.

Lets take as simple example, blurring running water, you would want to have recommended lenses, shutter speeds etc, etc, to lead you to takig a photograph?

I doubt there will be such a book, what you generally will find is specific techniques and you will need to consider all the things you would need to do, to make the shot from the examples you see, and the equipment you have.

Otherwise, I would suggest taking some courses in photography at a local colledge, or even on line, if you want continued and structured assignments.
11-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #6

Tom Ang

Tom Ang, digital photography masterclass, published by DK, ISBN 978-1-8561-3131-5

I have this book, and it does exactly what you require.

try on Dorling Kindersley - Illustrated Reference Publisher)

edit to say I found it on the UK version of their website, hardback, 20 pounds UK

on the US website you can find "the complete photographer," by the same author.

on the australia website, you can find both titles

hope that helps

Last edited by keithlester; 11-21-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: to give more info
11-21-2011, 05:20 PM - 3 Likes   #7

Photos: Gallery
I have been teaching photography at our Technical institute for 3 decades. There are a lot of ways to improve your photography, but the best way is to go out and shoot. I often pick a word and go and shoot subjects that remind me of the word. In Newfoundland 3 years ago I shot a lot but my word for a slide show after the trip was "DOWN." I shot for over 30 days and then put 8 different slide shows together for my classes including DOWN. Some words that I have used as assignments over the years are: Colour, Water, Textures, Low, Up, Life.. and the list goes on.

The biggest thing that one can do when they get their images on to the computer is to ask the question "Why do I/don't I like it" We all learn more from our mistakes than our successes. Why does this image look better than this one? Don't just delete the ones that you don't like tell yourself why they id not work out. The good shots will always stick out from the average ones, but you need to see why they are average. Almost every image has something good in it but recognizing the good things can make you take better pictures more often.

Another exercise that I have my students do is to take an image and crop it into 4 different images. This works well in seeing a picture and starts one thinking about other ways of "Seeing" an picture. Composition is part of the photographic art and you must work at seeing the image.

Take a course. A number of my students start every spring taking a course so that they can get started for the year. If there are no courses around find someone that may live close to you and share images and ideas. Shooting with someone can be a lot of fun and will push both people to do better work. The biggest thing it not to say I can not ......... Everyone can take GREAT images but they have to work at both the Technical and artistic aspects of photography.