Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 01:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
50 /50's ! how do you decide which lens to use each day? which lens do you use the most ?
For all my lenses, I have a LOTD (lens of the day) strategy. I'll grab a lens somewhat randomly and use it for a day or ten. Some LOTD glass gets promoted to my regular rotation -- I'm now never without my tiny amazing CZJ (Zeiss) Tessar 50/2.8 (12 iris blades, weighs 110g) in Exakta mount, easily adapted to PK. The Tessar is the core of my ultralight lens mini-kit.

Some days I'll take a pile of Fifties for different purposes. So when I spent a month walking around Santa Fe NM, I'd sometimes take a K50/1.2, FA50/1.4, Macro-Takumar 50/4, and Petri CC 55/1.7, as well as the Tessar. Another day I'd take the planar Yashica ML 50/1.4, Meyer Oreston 50/1.8, Tomioka 55/1.4, and Helios-44 58/2, as well as the Tessar. Varied tools for various purposes.

The most-used? The FA50/1.4 (my gotta-get-the-shot lens and my only AF prime), then the CZJ Tessar, then the K50/1.2, then the Tomioka 55/1.4. But any single day may see me with the Rikenon 50/2 and 55/1.8, or the Super-Takumar 50/1.4 and 55/1.8, or the Meyer Oreston 50/1.8 and Primotar-E 50/3.5, or various enlarger-projector-copy lenses on extension for close work.

And you may wonder WHY? Because each renders images differently. Each is like a different brush for painting. And because it pleases me to have this selection.

ObTopic: Meter and focus as needed. I do what works for the image. My training and work ethic say, DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO MAKE THE PICTURE. Our dSLRs nicely provide options beyond the wildest dreams of Instamatic shooters! So many controls to play with...

Last edited by RioRico; 11-28-2011 at 02:56 PM.
11-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
You mean you have an other 20 or so in the category "probably forgot stuff" in your signature
I admit to looking at my M50/1.7 once and realizing that I had two. One came with a camera body and I had forgotten about it. I count 18 lenses and a teleconverter on my desk at the moment.

Where I envy RioRico is not all his lenses, but his lens-bearer, Ansel. I just went on a trip and had to choose only a bare handful of 8 lenses, then carry them all myself.
11-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
only eight?
11-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #19

a question : your favorite wide angle for landscapes? can be manual focus, best for distortions? not having much distortion , i mean. ?

11-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

a question : your favorite wide angle for landscapes? can be manual focus, best for distortions? not having much distortion , i mean. ?
I use a Tamron 10-24 for tight spaces at the short end, and for 'scapes (land, sea, sky, town, etc) towards the long end. For distortionless pictures, I use a 28mm, my favorite being a Komine 28/2 CF but many others are good too. I see some edge distortion in EVERY lens wider than 28mm.

Look at collections of published 'scapes and you'll find that the vast majority were shot with in a focal range equivalent to 18-55mm on an APS-C camera. Those shot with wide lenses show edge distortion, and that's that. For distortionless wide images, shoot a set with a 28mm or 31mm in vertical (portrait) mode and stitch them together. If you don't want to stitch, you must accept the distortion. And sometimes such distortion doesn't matter.

Many novices think of ultrawides (UWAs) and fisheyes (FEs) as suitable for 'scapes, but that's wrong. FEs and UWAs shrink the distant, turning mountains into molehills, urban skylines into ragged bumps. Use such a lens to emphasize the nearby and to shrink the faraway.

Except in seismically active areas, landscapes don't move around a lot, so costly fast AF lenses really aren't needed. Put a cheap slow MF 28mm or 35mm on a tripod, stop down to f/11, and grab tons of details. A Pentax M28/3.5 or Meyer Primagon 35/4.5 or even my cheap Loreo 35/11 shift lens-in-a-cap do fine work.
11-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

My first choice is the DA 16-45mm f4. The range covers landscapes pretty well. The lens is very good. The camera, Photoshop or the Pentax software have correction profiles for it to fix distortion and other problems automatically. If it's not wide enough, I have no trouble stitching panoramas from handheld shots. The original here is about 180 degrees, 26147x4133 pixels, from 21 portrait-oriented shots stitched in Photoshop CS5.

11-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #22

thanks , that is good advice from both of you ; i do kind of like the perspective within that range 18-55, rio rico, don't yet have a wide angle though, maybe just go with a 28, as you suggest; and.... 16-45 must be one of the 'probably forgot stuff ' stuff just one more dave, (you should consider changing your name to just1morelens )
11-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I''ll rant a little about 'scapes. Whether shooting ultrawide, or panos, or just a bit wide, we may too often try to capture a scene that strikes our visual systems as glorious. Then we look at the results and go, Huh? The magic isn't there. That's because what the camera sees, and what our visual systems assemble into mental imagery, ain't the same.

How to make a 'scape more interesting? Juxtaposition. Use the vista as a background behind something closer. I use my fishy Zenitar 16/2.8 to good effect in portrait mode, with a rock or hydrant or goat or something, ANYTHING, in the foreground whilst the vista carries away into the distance. Here is THIS, up close; and there is THAT, far away. That's the juxtaposition.

This same trick saves 'normal' focal length shots. On APS-C, a 28mm lens is 'normal' and it's deceptively difficult. We can easily take shots of what's in front of us. The trick is to arrange picture elements so there's something singular within the frame. Here's a picture of a tree; that's nice. Now put a tiger crouching in front of the tree. Much better!

Again, look at collections of published 'scapes. Look for the toggers' tricks. Steal their ideas.

Last edited by RioRico; 11-29-2011 at 08:01 PM.
11-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #24

ok, another good bunch of ideas, thanks. ...................... i may have a few more questions for you down the road..... don't go anywhere.....
11-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

How did we get from autofocus thread to landscape thread
11-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
How did we get from autofocus thread to landscape thread
How? Because a question was asked, a few posts back:

And before that, it was a how-many-lenses-do you-have? thread:

the hunt brothers of lenses then, do you remember the hunt brothers ( silver ) ?
But that was after the original question was satisfactorily answered:

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
+1 to this, solved a lot of my AF troubles. Lets me focus on the fly. Now I can only blame my hands for messing up the composition! =))
So we're just being reactive here. Any excuse to blather about the usual, eh?

OK, what's the next off-topic fun we can have here? Lens mods, maybe?
« Film Camera | noise »