Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Auto Focus

Is it better to have the AF set at auto or multi-point where you pick the focus area? I think there is also an option to choose center only. This is with a istDS.

bluestringer

11-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always use the select AF that way i can be sure of the camera focusing on what i want not what the auto decides is the subject. I never use the center only because i rarely compose shots that way
Select doesn't always nail it on fast lenses because it is still a pretty big zone .
11-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #3

It really depends on the shot you're trying to make and what you're wanting to do. I got too frustrated by the multi-point auto select always choosing a point I didn't want it to, so I set it to center only. There are times where I may want to force it to be a different point, in which case i'd set to multiple points, but leave the auto select off (this is on a K200D, but should be same concept...). YMMV
11-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another common strategy is to use center point only and recompose while keeping the AF locked (by keeping the shutter button half-pressed and fully pressing it when the shot is composed as desired).

11-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Another common strategy is to use center point only and recompose while keeping the AF locked (by keeping the shutter button half-pressed and fully pressing it when the shot is composed as desired).
I use this recompose method as well, except that i use the AF button to do the focusing with instead of the half-shutter and hold it.

The recompose method is not entirely accurate because of the focusing field, but if one isn't using a shallow DOF, its close enough. With select AF point, seems like there was always time involved in shifting to the right point and limitations involved in putting that point over the object you want sharp.

YMMV
11-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I use this recompose method as well, except that i use the AF button to do the focusing with instead of the half-shutter and hold it.

The recompose method is not entirely accurate because of the focusing field, but if one isn't using a shallow DOF, its close enough. With select AF point, seems like there was always time involved in shifting to the right point and limitations involved in putting that point over the object you want sharp.

YMMV
I agree it can be time consuming but you'd be surprised at how fast you get with select AF over time. Mind you I find it easier on my K10 and K7 the ds has such a small controller (which I'd forgot about but i have it with me today for the first time in eons) - it's also easier to flip between af types on k10/20/7/5 since there is a dedicated switch no menu hunting.
11-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best way is one that works for your shooting style and your lenses. My DS was well set up for manual focus, most of my lenses were manual focus, so most of the time, the AF-MF switch was in manual focus. I tried chasing that dot around the viewfinder a few times and did not find it useful. The user interface is not great on the DS - no AF button, switching from AF-S to AF-C is menu-only, etc. But if you can get it to work, it can be the best way for you.

11-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
+1 to this, solved a lot of my AF troubles. Lets me focus on the fly. Now I can only blame my hands for messing up the composition! =))
11-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #9

not sure if just1moredave has enough lenses. ......
11-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
He only has about 10% of the number of lenses that RioRicoh has. Draw you own conclusions
11-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #11

the hunt brothers of lenses then, do you remember the hunt brothers ( silver ) ?
11-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
He only has about 10% of the number of lenses that RioRicoh has. Draw you own conclusions
That's right, about 10%. But consider: Of my ~225 lenses, 50 are Fifties -- and one member here (hi, Duc!) owned (until recently) more Fifties than I have lenses total. Draw your own conclusions.

the hunt brothers of lenses then, do you remember the hunt brothers ( silver ) ?
Last year a poll was held at the manual lenses forum as to lens counts. The AVERAGE was over 100 lenses per member. One admitted to over 1500 lenses. I'm small-time. I NEED MOAR LENSES!!

ObTopic: Focus point selection depends on what you want to do and what you're comfortable with. I shoot with many MF non-A-type lenses using CIF so I default to center-weighted metering and center-spot focus confirmation -- I compose as best I can in-camera, then crop in PP for the final composition. I use my relatively few AF lenses a lot too, almost always with multi-segment metering and matrix focusing -- I compose, check the focus points, and shoot -- unless centering makes more sense.
11-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #13

50 /50's ! how do you decide which lens to use each day? which lens do you use the most ?
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have some for sale. Buy them all and we could be even!
11-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have some for sale. Buy them all and we could be even!
You mean you have an other 20 or so in the category "probably forgot stuff" in your signature
« Film Camera | noise »