Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2011, 12:58 AM   #1

Continuous Shooting

Just got my K-5. I am trying to setup continuous shooting. Following the instructions, P.151, it instructs to press the "up" button on the four-way controller to get in the Drive Mode screen. Next it tells me to use the left and right buttons on the four-way controller to select the continuous shooting function. The problem is that I don't see this option. In the instructions, there are about six different icons to choose from in the Drive Mode screen, including continuous shooting. When I get into the Drive Mode screen, I only have three options, which are Single Frame Shooting, Self-timer, and Remote Control. Why doesn't the Drive Mode screen show more options like the instructions? Please help.

Last edited by Zenithon; 11-24-2011 at 01:05 AM. Reason: fix text
11-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #2

Original Poster
Ok, I just figured out that if I take the camera off of green mode, to other modes such as the "P" mode on the dial, I then get the continuous shooting option when I go to the Drive Mode screen. I guess my next questions is why doesn't green mode offer continuous shooting? I just upgraded from a K10D, so it's been awhile since an upgrade, but the K10D can do a continuous shoot in green mode. It seems strange to take this option away, or is their some other way to set it up in Green Mode. Any comments are appreciated.
11-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cannot comment directly on the Green mode & continuos shooting.

I use Hi continuous shooting very reguularly and I use most often the Hyper mode P. In the hypermode P, the camera is full auto (like in the green mode) until you use the front dial to set the shutter speed or the rear dial to set the aperture. At any time you can come back to full auto by pressing the Green button. The Hypermode P is too often underated. It is a superb option, allowing to switch from Auto to TAv to Tv at a flick of the dial. And back by pushing the green button.

Hope that the coment will help....

Last edited by hcc; 11-24-2011 at 02:04 PM.
11-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My only experience is with the K20D, but... Have you tried setting Continuous in P mode, then switching to Green? Does the setting carry-over between modes? And can you store Continuous drive in User mode? I'm setup so I need merely switch to User to be in Continuous-Hi (3 fps) -- no menuing necessary.

11-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since you just got your camera, skimming the manual could be beneficial. There is a long list of things you can't do in Green. The notes paragraph of the Green Mode section in the manual will list them.

As mentioned, P is a far superior mode which allows easy mode changes as mentioned, EV correction, and can be biased toward fast shutter speed, depth of field, etc.
11-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for all your help. I will use the P mode for continuous shooting. SpecialK, you are right their are several functions that are not allowed in the Green. I was up to about 1:00am with my manual, but I think it's going to take a while. Luckily a lot of it is similar to my K10D. I do have to say that my initial reaction to the camera is very favorable. I expected things to be improved over the K10D, but they seem to be more improved than I thought. Time will tell.