Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #1

pentax k1000

Have an older K1000 Pentax film camera w/ 5 additional lenses. Is there a Pentax digital camera available that I could still use these lenses on.

Thanks

jerry

11-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any Pentax DSLR. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html. Pentax rules when it comes to forward-backward compatibility.
11-24-2011, 06:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

All current Pentax dSLRs will work with them. Depends on the lenses which (semi) automatic modes are supported; e.g. M lenses (K as well if I'm not mistaken) only work in M mode but you can meter for correct exposure on all of them. M42 lenses wil;l also work as long as they have an auto/manual switch or are manual (the aperture close when you turn the aperture ring).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

Notes:
1)
If the lenses are not original Pentax, be careful with lenses that have the Ricoh pin as it might get stuck in the AF drive; you can do a search here.
2)
Because of the sensor that is smaller than film, your field of view will change (a 50mm on a dSLR will give the same field of vies as a 75mm on film)

Enjoy; I added a M120/2.8 to the collection about an hour ago
11-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Good reminder about the Ricoh pin; I blithely assumed Pentax-branded lenses.

11-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Inactive Account

this is the view through the viewfinder of a k1000 I just received in the post, I bought it fairly cheap on ebay
could anybody tell me why there are black rings? and what (if anything) I can do to rectify this? thanks, Jack

12-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are only two issues you need worry about. The "Ricoh Pin" and the Vivitar aperture flange. Some lenses with the older style "Ricoh Pin" can become stuck on Pentax AF camera. The Vivitar aperture flange can prevent a lens from being mounted because it hits the SDM/Power-zoom contacts.

Manual focus lenses with the A setting will work in every mode, just no AF. Manual focus lenses without the A setting can be used in M mode with stop-down metering.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
12-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The lenses will probably fit and work on any of the Pentax DSLRs. Pentax-branded lenses definitely do work. With some other manufacturers and particular lenses, you may have problems which are easily fixed.

The K1000 was manual everything and the DSLRs are not, so the lenses may mean using the spiffy new camera as if it was a K1000. The typical lens found on a K1000 is manual focus with the aperture set on the aperture ring. You'd have to use it on a DSLR the same way.

The technical limitations are:
The sensor is smaller than 35mm film. That makes the viewfinder smaller, which makes manual focusing possibly harder. It makes your lenses work apparently different, as if you took a photo with the K1000, then cropped it by one third.
The camera is not capable of metering the older lenses "live". With the K1000, turn the aperture ring or adjust shutter speed, and the little needle moves up or down. The DSLR can't do that, you have to push a button to meter with these lenses.
Some people suggest exposure errors with some lenses. With digital, this is really easy to see but easy to fix too - change something and shoot again, for example.

Without knowing what lenses you have, I won't describe all the possible permutations of using and mounting them here. If you list the lenses, someone has probably used them on a Pentax DSLR.
12-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #8
Forum Member

I have a K1000 and use lenses in Kr

12-02-2011, 03:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Get the K-r with the kit lens. That will cover enough to get you started. Then try your old lenses you will need to learn manual mode and manual focus.
12-02-2011, 04:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Selected posts from 2nd similar thread merged into this one. Please take care to avoid creating multiple threads on the same subject as it just makes searching for pertinent information much more complicated.

Mike
PF Moderation Team
02-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #11

I too have a k1000 with a Sigma lens and some extender rings (and a telephoto lens, but I don't know the make of that, it's in storage)...

So, good to hear that these will work on the Pentax digitals, as I love the clarity of the Sigma lens.

This might need to be asked elsewhere, but... What's the best 'enthusiast' Pentax SLR now?

I was looking at the K-R, but that's discontinued... the K-X seems to be pretty much impossible to find these days, and neither of them are at great prices any more.

Are Pentax coming out with a new model to fit into that slot? The K01 looks awesome, but will be at a price much higher than the K-R/K-X

Should I just hold out?