Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2011, 12:05 AM   #1

Strange noise inside lens - Sigma 17-70 HSM

I just receive my "Sigma DC OS HSM Macro 17 mm - 70 mm F/2.8-4 Lens For Pentax" and when I shake this lens(just the lens, separated with the camera), I notice a strange noise comes from inside of this lens. It sounds like glass slightly hit each other, or likes the optic not be fixed to a given position.

My hand also feels some optic( or something) slightly move and hits the lens' internal wall.

When I shoot, The lens works great and quiet, and don't make any strange sound.

Is this issue normal? or my lens has some problem inside?

Attached Images

11-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's probably the OS mechanism- if you hear this noise inside your pentax cameras it's normal.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your replay, this noise is from the lens inside. I take down the lens, and shake the lens alone, noise happens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's probably the OS mechanism- if you hear this noise inside your pentax cameras it's normal.
11-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's the in-lens Optical Stabilisation mechanism; Sigma OS utilises a "floating" OS element that is free to move about when the lens OS mechanism isn't activated. What you're hearing when you shake the lens is this floating element moving about.

11-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you Pop and Adam
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
It's the in-lens Optical Stabilisation mechanism; Sigma OS utilises a "floating" OS element that is free to move about when the lens OS mechanism isn't activated. What you're hearing when you shake the lens is this floating element moving about.
11-25-2011, 02:35 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an idea, don't shake around your lenses :P