Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2011, 05:56 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Any special procedures for aperture priority using an FA lens on a K5? I tried a shot with no special settings or procedures and got a black screen. Am I to understand that the FA lenses are only fully automatic on the K5 in aperture priority?

12-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TooLoose Quote
Any special procedures for aperture priority using an FA lens on a K5? I tried a shot with no special settings or procedures and got a black screen. Am I to understand that the FA lenses are only fully automatic on the K5 in aperture priority?
Any F or FA or DA lenses look the same to your K5 -- they have screwdrive AF and A-type aperture contacts. The functional difference is that Fs and FAs have aperture rings and DAs don't. Set the ring to A and it will act just like a DA lens. In Av (aperture priority) mode, you control the aperture from the camera; in any other auto mode, the camera controls the aperture. Just be sure the ring is on A. At any other aperture setting, you need to set USING APERTURE RING to PERMITTED and treat is like a manual-aperture lens.

Last edited by RioRico; 12-03-2011 at 09:46 AM.
12-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Got it. It's very easy actually. I apologize for my density on this. Some of the confusion is due to reading about these things online but not really understanding some of the terminology. You have been very helpful. And I do understand about setting the aperture to 'permit.' I know where that setting is in the menu (Custom.)

Thanks again.
12-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Got it. It's very easy actually. I apologize for my density on this. Some of the confusion is due to reading about these things online but not really understanding some of the terminology. You have been very helpful. And I do understand about setting the aperture to 'permit.' I know where that setting is in the menu (Custom.)

Thanks again.
I recommend you do NOT select "aperture ring permitted" with an FA lens. What would be the point of using the aperture ring? If you leave the setting on "prohibited", you will know if the lens has accidentally been moved off the A setting. There's no reason to use the aperture ring with a digital camera. An FA lens with the aperture ring set to A works exactly like a DA lens.

I'm puzzled as to why you're having trouble with the FA. It should be plug'n'play. Something must be wrong.

- Are you sure it's an FA lens?

- Are you sure the aperture ring is set to the A position on the lens barrel? To reach A position, you have to press the little button on the lens barrel, then turn to A. When you do this, the ring will be locked in the A position, and you would have to depress the button again to change aperture. BUT, leave the aperture ring in A postion all the time, there's no reason to move it with a digital camera.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-03-2011 at 09:13 AM.
12-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
There's no reason to use the aperture ring with a digital camera.
That's true but only if the entire lens kit is AF. With any MF lenses, including the new Samyangs, aperture permission is needed.
12-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That's true but only if the entire lens kit is AF. With any MF lenses, including the new Samyangs, aperture permission is needed.
MF means manual focus. You're forgetting that lenses can be MF and have auto aperture (A or auto lenses). Fully manual lenses use the aperture ring, but there's no indication here that the OP has a manual lens. I was talking about him using his FA 50.
12-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
In answer to your question, Audiobomber, yes, I am very certain it is an FA50mm 1.4 lens. I have not yet tried setting the ring to "A." I will have a chance to try it out tomorrow when I go out shooting.

Thanks again.
12-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
MF means manual focus. You're forgetting that lenses can be MF and have auto aperture (A or auto lenses).
Yup, you're right. I was about half-asleep when I wrote that. Need caffeine...

I am very certain it is an FA50mm 1.4 lens. I have not yet tried setting the ring to "A."
That should make all the difference. Set it to A and you'll be totally automatic.

12-04-2011, 04:13 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Tried it last night and the lens works great, both aperture and shutter priority. I can't wait to get out there and start shooting with it.

Thanks so much!
01-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #25

TooLoose, i just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I am pretty new to DSLRs as well. I started with a K-r last March and just recently upgraded to the K-5. One of my first lens purchases was the FA50mm and i too read some bad information. I searched online how to use it with my K-r(before i joined the forum) and what i read was to switch the aperature setting to "permitted". Thats how i used the lens for several months. Down the road i actually started learning what the camera could do and how to actually use it and thats when i discovered the "A" setting. 9 months later and i still learn new things about these cameras everyday. Do a lot of searching, reading, and when nessessary, posting.