Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

Q about FA 50mm on K5

I've read the instructions for using an FA lens on my K5, but I still have a question. From what I've read, I must shoot in manual focus. Is this true?

I understand about setting the aperture ring to 'permit' in the custom menu.

I know that the green button will give me a relative exposure reading.

I'm not new to photography by any means, just new to DSLR. I've been shooting with point-n-shoots for years.

11-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
The FA lens is an auto-focus lens. You can use the same way you use DA lens.

Otherwise you can use 'any' lens in manual focus mode. Just turn the switch in M position from AF.C. The switch is located on the camera near the lens mount.

Since the FA lens is auto-aperture one also you need not to 'permit' the aperture ring. It's needed only for fully manual lenses.
11-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

set the aperture ring to A, turn your af switch to either AF.S or AF.C and you're good to go. You'll only need to set it to MF when you want to manually focus on the lens, as the focusing ring does not support quick shift
11-25-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Instructions on how to use the FA50 on K5?!?! This is the first time I heard of that, even though I've been using my FA50 on my K5 for over a year now.

Even the green mode doesn't pose a problem. But I prefer tAV. No problems at all with focussing or light measurement.

The two are a wonderfull combination.

11-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TooLoose Quote
I understand about setting the aperture ring to 'permit' in the custom menu.
I wouldn't recommend that unless you're using a lens that doesn't support auto aperture. Leave the setting on "prohibited", because sometimes the aperture ring accidentally gets turned from the A position and you will want to know about that.

If you use a lens that is not marked A, FA, or DA, then you will need to permit the aperture ring to be used.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-25-2011 at 08:50 AM.
11-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've read the instructions for using an FA lens on my K5, but I still have a question. From what I've read, I must shoot in manual focus. Is this true?
Wonder where you've read that? Been smoking something
11-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Either somebody gave you bad information or you have something besides the FA 50. You should not have to do anything special to make it work on a K5. Here is a link to the Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart which might give you some information on what lenses can be used with which cameras and the limitations thereof.

I started with SLR's in the 70's then switched to digital P&S cameras for many years. I can attest that the learning curve to a DSLR was a lot steeper than I anticipated. You need to understand a lot more about the camera and the photographic process to achieve good success. The quality of the shots I took actually declined for the first month, so much so that I contemplated returning my k-x and going back to P&S. Glad I stuck it out but it was a humbling experience.

11-26-2011, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. As I said in my original post, this is new technology for me and when I searched for information on it, I obviously did not understand the explanation of the procedure. It is a shame that instead of being helpful, especially after I disclosed my lack of knowledge in this field that certain members here ridicule me.
11-26-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Guessing that that applies to my reply, I do apologize. It was just a little humor, but maybe I'm the only one that sees it like that. Definitely not trying to ridicule you.

Still wonder WHERE you read it? Camera manual, lens manual, internet, ...? References can be useful so I / we can understand what makes you think what you thought.
11-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm sure the problem is my lack of understanding of the terminology. I can't recall the exact search terms I used to find the article(s). I bought the lens a few months ago and haven't used it after my misunderstanding the explanation.

I suppose since I didn't post my question in the Newbie section, I opened myself up to target practice. I've been taking pictures for decades but failed to delve into the technical side of photography, and for the past eight years, have been shooting digital point-n-shoot.
11-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Maybe some members have bad days. Such will pass. Anyway, all the F and FA and DA (and FA-J and DA-L and DFA) series lenses are autofocus and will AF on our dSLRs. All those except the DA and DA-L lenses have aperture rings, so the iris can be adjusted manually if desired. And ALL those have manual-focus rings and CAN be focused manually, although the DA and DA-L lenses are more suited to AF. (Their focus rings are thin; their focus throws are short.) Many of us go out of our way to find F- and FA-series lenses. I sure wish I had some more!
11-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm sure the problem is my lack of understanding of the terminology. I can't recall the exact search terms I used to find the article(s). I bought the lens a few months ago and haven't used it after my misunderstanding the explanation.

I suppose since I didn't post my question in the Newbie section, I opened myself up to target practice. I've been taking pictures for decades but failed to delve into the technical side of photography, and for the past eight years, have been shooting digital point-n-shoot.
Well, be glad you didn't ask that question on some other forums I could name. That would have been painful. Remember: Smileys are there for a reason. Humor is sometimes difficult to convey in written form, especially to someone you've never met in person.

Trust me, you're in a good place, with great people. Enjoy your new camera and your voyage of discovery with a dslr. The best way to learn is to just play. Unlike film days, taking pictures costs you nothing but time. Examine your failures, revel in your successes. Before long there will be many more of the latter than of the former.
11-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The FA 50mm is still a current lens, so it supports all the automation that your DSLR offers. Just don't touch the aperture ring

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is one of the friendliest and most polite forums I have ever participated in. Just hang in there and I think you will really enjoy the place. Beginners forum is there for a purpose but I think in this case the question surprised a lot of people since we were confused as to why you were having problems with that lens. It should just work.... Stick it on and try it. Let us know how it works and if you have any more questions just ask.
11-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bimjo: You said smileys are for a reason. I agree...and sometimes that reason can be to camouflage a nasty comment. It is difficult 'reading' people in forums.

I think what happened that caused my initial confusion is that I searched for information on using other than DA lenses on my Pentax and found a site that described using the various lens types, incl. manual focus, and I either misread the information (possible) or the author wasn't clear about which type of lens he was describing.

The autofocus on my FA50 works fine in aperture priority.

Thanks for all the help here.