Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
turning the focus ring on non quickshift lens

getting confused the other day ( do that a lot ) i turned the focus ring on one of my non quick-shift lenses, before i realized what i was doing, just wondering if this would mess up the autofocusing on the lens in any way, if anyone else has done this and has it caused problems? thanks ( camera was set to AF-S )

11-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, it's not good for your camera or the gears in the lens, as you have to apply a lot of pressure and you end up driving the AF motor.
11-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

It might - I always switch the camera to MF when I want to do this, though. Only takes a second.
11-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
getting confused the other day ( do that a lot ) i turned the focus ring on one of my non quick-shift lenses, before i realized what i was doing, just wondering if this would mess up the autofocusing on the lens in any way, if anyone else has done this and has it caused problems? thanks ( camera was set to AF-S )
If it's working then dont worry about it. But yeah, try to avoid doing it in future

11-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
i didn't do it on purpose, believe me, and not too severely, but .....
11-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's probably fine. The gears in AF lenses can be a bit fragile when subjected to this, but it would be unusual for it to have any permanent effect the first time or two, provided it wasn't really wrenched.

I think everyone has done this occasionally, especially when starting out.
11-25-2011, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I have turned the focus ring while AF is engaged and I don't think there is any ill effect but if anyone is worried about damaging their system, you can push in the lens release button which disengages the screw drive then you can turn the focus ring without any problem.
11-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I have turned the focus ring while AF is engaged and I don't think there is any ill effect but if anyone is worried about damaging their system, you can push in the lens release button which disengages the screw drive then you can turn the focus ring without any problem.
And there is the answer!

11-26-2011, 04:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have one non-quickshift AF lens and I straight away notice the resistance if I try to turn the ring. I have never been able to unwillingly force it.
11-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #10

Original Poster
this was a kit da L lens, and it does turn a little bit , i didn't really force it, but didn't know if by turning it i would have messed up the accuracy of autofocus now, or messed it up in some other way, maybe turned it half an inch before realizing what i was doing; had just been using a quick shift lens for a while previously. seems they would take this into account though when designing the non quickshift lenses, that someone would turn the focus ring at some point ? no?
11-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

1/2 inch sounds like a lot; the lens I referred to is the FA31Ltd and I can not even turn it a mm without forcing it. No experience with DA-L, but if it has some play, I can imagine that you will only realize it when it is too late. I don't think it will affect AF accuracy.