Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #1

K10D wont take pictures

My K10D with allmost 16.000 exposures went ballistic today...
Was shooting some macro fotage with my Sigma 70-300mm in 200mm Macro and the cameras own flash. beutiful pictures untill the last picture..
pushed the button it it went: "KLONK" after that the camera don't want to take pictures with the flash..

tried taking out battery and resetting my settings but it wont work

Help?

11-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it take photos without flash? If so, your flash has died. Get an external one.

However, "klonk" sounds more like a mechanical thing to me, and I would not associate it with anything related to flash. More like shutter or mirror. But I hope for you it's the above.
11-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'm not good at the English terms for the components in the camera but the shutter is blinking in the display on top of the camera same thing with ... don't know the word...

These nubers are blinking on the top display (with or without flash):
Program: P 1" F4.0

Theh have never blinked before.
Takes pictures but either VERY dark or light...
11-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Battery no longer good? The lithium cell on your K10D has a limited lifespan time-wise and if it is greater than 4 years old, it is the most likely culprit. A wasted battery may no longer supply adequate voltage and/or amperage to power the camera properly regardless of state of charge.

Steve

11-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Battery no longer good? The lithium cell on your K10D has a limited lifespan time-wise and if it is greater than 4 years old, it is the most likely culprit. A wasted battery may no longer supply adequate voltage and/or amperage to power the camera properly regardless of state of charge.

Steve
Rather new battery, only 4 months old
11-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #6

Can you take pictures with the flash down? Usually the shutter speed blinks when you are over or under exposed IIRC.
11-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
yes can take pictures without but two pictures of same thing in a row is not the same in light.. either very dark or very light..

11-27-2011, 03:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tchn226 Quote
same thing with ... don't know the word...
The word you're looking for is (more than likely) aperture

Does the same happen with another lens (e.g. kit lens) ? If so, it will point to the camera; if not, it will point to the lens.

Looks like it measures with the aperture closed in which case the view in the viewfinder should also be very dark; is that the case? It will indicate that the aperture linkage between camera and lens is broken in some way.

The flashing will indicate that it can not get correct exposure and explains the underexposure. But why does it not go to 30 sec or so? Maybe because you're in P? What happens when you're in Av mode?

But the inconsistency does not make sense at all.

If it's the camera (see first test), get a quote for repair. It might just be a spring that came loose or broke and might be reasonable cheap to fix.
11-27-2011, 04:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The word you're looking for is (more than likely) aperture

Does the same happen with another lens (e.g. kit lens) ? If so, it will point to the camera; if not, it will point to the lens.

Looks like it measures with the aperture closed in which case the view in the viewfinder should also be very dark; is that the case? It will indicate that the aperture linkage between camera and lens is broken in some way.

The flashing will indicate that it can not get correct exposure and explains the underexposure. But why does it not go to 30 sec or so? Maybe because you're in P? What happens when you're in Av mode?

But the inconsistency does not make sense at all.

If it's the camera (see first test), get a quote for repair. It might just be a spring that came loose or broke and might be reasonable cheap to fix.

Same thing with all lenses 18-55 kit 50-200 zoom and 70-300 zoom..
no the view in viewfinder is the same as allways.
the flashing is in all modes.. user, green, P, Sv, Tv, Av, TAv, M, B, X never done it before =(
thinking of getting a K5 instead, get a kamera with CMOS sensor instead of the CCD that is in the K10D. Just have to save up for it =)
11-27-2011, 04:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

OK, I'm unfortunately out of options for now.

Good luck with the saving for the K5; it's a worthy successor for your K10D.
11-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the camera's lens mount? Use some contact cleaner or maybe a small amount of rubbing alcohol - sometimes those contacts get gunked up preventing them from doing their job. Also, have you tried a manual lens, like a Pentax M-type? Just a couple things to try before throwing in the towel...
11-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the camera's lens mount? Use some contact cleaner or maybe a small amount of rubbing alcohol - sometimes those contacts get gunked up preventing them from doing their job. Also, have you tried a manual lens, like a Pentax M-type? Just a couple things to try before throwing in the towel...
autofocus works a little when flash is down, put it up: dead. can't do a thing. Gonna try cleaning the contacts.
Don't own more then the lenses I've counted up a couple of answers up, but here they are again.
Sigma DG OS 70-300
Samsung D-Xenon 50-200
Pentax kit 18-55

Last edited by Tchn226; 11-27-2011 at 08:38 AM.
11-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #13

Original Poster
have now tried with a borrowed external flash and a manual lens from a friend and cleaned the contacts. no differens.. now with the externa flash it wont take pictures at all =( took it off and tried manual without flash: takes pictures but same motive 2 pictures: one is much darker then the other (same settings on both..)

I think my K10 has thrown in the towel =/