Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

Help What camera are they lenses for

I am wondering if anyone knows what camera these lenses will fit? I don't even know what type of mount or even what brand they are they don't have any writing on them. All I know is that it says will fit pentax digital. So I looked up the K200D camera wil they fit that one with everything working the auto and the manual?

Attached Images

Last edited by PentaxGirl; 11-27-2011 at 03:45 PM.
11-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No data contacts = no auto aperture control.
11-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

When you say 'auto', did you mean focus (no!) or aperture (not sure).

In any event, the glass doesn't look too healthy. Might be external and just need a clean, but...
11-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

No auto-focus either, I don't see a screw drive connector.

11-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxGirl Quote
I am wondering if anyone knows what camera these lenses will fit? I don't even know what type of mount or even what brand they are they don't have any writing on them. All I know is that it says will fit pentax digital. So I looked up the K200D camera wil they fit that one with everything working the auto and the manual?
HI, the first thing you should know is that if these lenses fits any Pentax digital SLR they will fit all - including the K200D you mention (and of which I am a happy owner myself!).

The mounts that you show surely look like old, manual Pentax K bayonet mounts and there is nothing in the images that tell me they shouldn't work. (I am curious - isn't there anything written in regards of focal length or similar on the front of your lenses?).

However, they will only work in fully manual mode - that is: No autofocus, no program modes. You may see more about how maual lenses work on modern Pentax cameras here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

and here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html
11-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, those certainly look like standard old K-mount lenses, with mechanical auto-aperture flags. As mentioned, they'll work on a Pentax dSLR in M mode with the Green button for stop-down metering, or in Av mode for wide-open metering. What lenses are they? What is inscribed on their fronts?
11-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #7

Original Poster
One doesnt have anything written on the front of the lens just down the sides such as f=80-200mm or f=200mm macro (1:4 1:5 1:6), Image auto zoom, 55 mm. I will include a picture. They other has ricoh, riconar 1:2.2 55 mm on the lens in the front. One also looks newer than the other one does.

11-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
The shorter one has the ricoh on it the longer one has no name of any kind
Attached Images

11-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The Riconar 55/2.2 is a consumer-grade (probably 'kit') lens that gets rather mixed reviews. The 80-200/4.5 zoom... I'm going to guess that because it says IMAGE AUTO ZOOM, and because the UV filter on the Riconar says IMAGE, that IMAGE is a house brand for generic lenses sold by some store chain, just as FOCAL was the house brand for K-Mart photo gear. What is the serial number on the zoom? That could tell us who made it.

Anyway, those will both work on all Pentax SLRs made since about 1975 (except the 645s and 67s).
11-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #10

Original Poster
How do i tell what the serial number is? the only other thing written on it other than the dials is 8017866
11-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #11

Original Poster
is it possible to get an adapter so that i could use the automatic features?
11-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Afraid not.
11-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

How do i tell what the serial number is? the only other thing written on it other than the dials is 8017866
That *is* the serial number, and it unfortunately only tells me that it was probably made in 1980. Some lensmakers have distinctive serials -- if it starts with 22 it's by Kino/Kiron; if 28 it's Komine; if H or 33 it's Tokina. But 80 isn't on my list of makers. If the lens was made in Korea, it's likely by Samyang, but that doesn't look Samyang-ish; if it's made in Japan, it could be from any of dozens of glass foundaries.

No. The automation is strictly mechanical, and Pentax stopped supporting that interface quite awhile ago. That's why our dSLRs have what are called 'crippled' mounts -- they support only electrical automation, not mechanical. The closest you can get to 'automation' is to use M mode, and the Green button for stop-down metering and exposure.

I have a number of such M-type lenses, both from Pentax and other makers. Some are superb. The Green button is only a slight delay when using them. They can also be used wide-open in Av mode, and I often switch between M and Av depending on what any shot needs. Practice with them a bit, and their use will become 'automatic' to you. Cheers!
11-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
okay thanks. it does say made in japan. But as you said that could be any one of dozens of places. When taking manual shots, do the pictures come out pretty good? and what is green button i read the articles but i still don't understand the green button. Hopefully they will work good for me. I've only ever used a point and shoot camera so this will be interesting to learn something new.
11-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When taking manual shots, do the pictures come out pretty good?
If you are willing to take the extra few seconds required to get the exposure and focus right, using the older lenses is not really a limitation. Judge for yourself; have a look at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/27739-m-club.html, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/29948-k-club.html, and https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/31601-takumar-club.html, where you'll find loads of examples of the old lenses in use on modern DSLRs.

what is green button i read the articles but i still don't understand the green button.
These older lenses have an aperture ring. When you turn the ring while the lens is off the camera, you can see how it changes the aperture. But when the lens is on the camera, changing the aperture ring doesn't actually change the aperture diameter. If it did, when you stopped down the lens the image in the viewfinder would become very dark. When mounted on the camera the aperture is always at maximum until you press the shutter release. Only then does the lens stop down to the selected aperture setting.

Problem is, the camera doesn't know the aperture setting with these older lenses, so unless you have the lens set to its maximum aperture, you can't use the camera's light meter to set the exposure properly. This is where the Green Button comes in. When you press it, the camera stops down the lens to its selected setting and takes an exposure reading, then sets the shutter speed. If you look through the viewfinder while pressing the green button, notice how the image darkens for a moment (if you have selected something other than the maximum aperture).

I've only ever used a point and shoot camera so this will be interesting to learn something new.
It's a good learning exercise, because you have to think about the aperture setting and shutter speed for every shot. You'll get the hang of it quickly. In practice all it means is, twist the aperture ring to the desired setting, compose the shot, hit the Green Button, and fire away.

Depending on the lens and camera, you may want to check the exposure of the first shot you take to confirm that it is correct. Or, instead of taking a shot and then checking it, you can also use the preview feature to take a shot but not record it on the memory card. I actually prefer this method.