Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Film Camera

I miss the film SLR shooting and would like to get a camera to use my Super Taks and manual/lenses I have. Thus, I have some questions: What would be the best camera (without breaking the bank), (2) do they still make film? (I read that Kodak does not make them anymore), (3) where to develop those films? I appreciate your answers. I really missed using my Pentax K1000 (circa 1976 and my Canono AE1 1985), (4) does the processing and printing breakes the pocket? Thanks,

11-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Try posting in the film SLR section. Yes, film is still available and Kodak still makes it too, so far.
11-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

My first thought is, the screwmount lenses can be adapted to a K-mount but a K-mount can't be adapted to a screwmount camera. But film cameras are cheap enough to get a body for each mount type. The early K series cameras are pretty much late Spotmatics with a different mount. You could get something like a KM, often overlooked but with a couple of feature advantages over a K1000, then a Spotmatic model that's similar. I would include enough in the camera budget to get the camera serviced.

On the film SLR section you'd get more specific advice.
11-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster

I wonder if the moderator could move this thread to the SLR Film Section. Thanks, Pepe

11-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I still use my K1000. This year I have also purchased a P30t and a ZX-7 I enjoy using each of them I use walgreens to develop my film under $20 including a CD. All my lenses work on all of them. with the exception of the DA which has no aperture ring so it only fully works on the ZX-7.
I enjoy the ZX-7 as much as the DSLR. It also does not have the crippled mount that others in the ZX line have. A good place to look is KEH.
Yes Kodak still makes film as do other companys.
11-29-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The equipment costs for film photography are indeed reasonable, and if you have both screwmount and K-mount getting both Spotmatic and K1000 (or MX) bodies just takes a bit of hunting. Of course either will likely need a trip to Eric for service to make it reliable, but then it will work and last like a new camera.
Film is still reasonable cost, as long as you pick your shots and avoid motor drives! Processing is becoming more of an issue. Walgreens has been a good local inexpensive way to process film, but they are discontinuing film processing store-by-store as they put in new equipment.
I hear CVS still does processing, as does Costco. For higher-quality processing mailing to Dwayne's photo is also reasonable cost and good quality. They still do prints, slides, B&W and have good scans to CD, if not the highest resolution.
11-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I loves my ME's... Even when I don't have my K-x with me I generally have my beat-up-black-ME-and-40mm-combo in me pocket...

I use Ilford XP2... It's a B&W film that can be developed in colour labs...

Unfortuately I live on t'other side of that pond so can't point to any place you'd know...