Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Manual lenses and F stops

Hi. I,ve had my Kx for probably a year now but still feel like a beginner, so that's why I post here. I have three auto lenses and four manual lenses (the best of which I suppose is supposed to be the M50 1.7). I'm finally getting a better hit rate for focus. My main problem now is that the background blur looks the same (very blurry) no matter which f stop I have it set to (1.7--22, no difference at all). When I look into the lenses under bright light, it looks like the iris is stopping down (happens kind of fast, but that's the way it looks), but when its on my camera taking pictures, stopping down seems to have no effect. I have my camera set to MF on the side of the camera, but is there some crucial thing I'm not doing? PS. I'm talking here about pics taken at close range. I just did a shootout with my auto lenses to try to determine whether it was worth throwing any more money into manuals, and the background blur clears right up on the auto lenses. Thanks, Jim

11-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you using AV mode or manual mode for your settings? Under AV mode, the camera forces the lens wide open no matter what setting you put the lens at.
11-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Are you using AV mode or manual mode for your settings? Under AV mode, the camera forces the lens wide open no matter what setting you put the lens at.
Quite right. First, you've probably already set USING APERTURE RING to PERMITTED. This lets you use any AF or MF lens with an aperture set to something other than A. If you're shooting A-type or adapted lenses (like M42 screwmounts), you can preset the aperture and shoot in Av mode. But with an M- or K-type lens, which have only a mechanical aperture linkage, you need to put the camera in M mode and use the Green button for stop-down metering and exposure. In any auto mode, a K or M lens remains wide open, just as you describe.
11-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
OK and thanks to both of you. That's exactly what I've been doing--using my manual lenses in Av. I figured that it seemed to work and cut out the step of pushing an extra button for metering. Well, I guess I'll start adding that extra step and see if the background changes. Thanks again! Jim

11-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When you say the background blur doesn't change, are you talking about on the resulting picture, or in the viewfinder? Auto-diaphragm lenses always focus wide open, so you won't see the difference in the viewfinder unless you manually stop the lens down. I believe the green-button just momentarily closes the lens. I don't have a K-x, but the K-5 has a stop-down lever on the power switch, which will let you see the focus-effect of stopping down with M lenses.