Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account

issues with my k1000

I've recently purchased a fairly cheap k1000 from ebay
but when looking through the viewfinder I see these dark rings
almost as if something is sticking together inside.

What could be the problem?

Thanks, Jack

11-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
bump ~
11-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't need to bump your threads after an hour as it might actually make people think you've already gotten a reply

Have you taken the lens off and looked at the screen from the other side? If there's something there you should be able to see it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
sorry, impatience got the better of me!
also- yes I have, and it looks as normal
I'm only a beginner really, and to me it seems like the mirror and whatever the ring is
(if that outer part is related the focus) have joined together slightly, or one has been pushed against the other

11-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do you see anything when looking through he VF with the lens off? If not, then your lens is probably busted.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yep, the same thing !
intermittently there seem to be fewer / more black lines obscuring the field
but at the moment there are barely any, so it's distinbuishable individual "lines" rather than the block you can see in my earlier picture
12-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the 'circle' appears even with the lens off, I'd say there might be a magnifier attached to the viewfinder. They clip-on - see if there's something you can remove by pushing up. Hard to describe - easy to do.

12-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
Banned

looks to me like there is a problem with the focusing screen itself. maybe the the ground glass of the screen was damaged by heavy handed cleaning? does the black come and go when adjusting focus?
12-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with Seamus on the focus screen. My K1000 focus screen is plain no circles or dots in the center. I wonder if someone has changed out or added to the focus with a cheap version. It is closer to my P30t's split prism focus screen than my k1000's plain screen. I have seen some cheap focus screens that the description sounds a lot like this looks. The reason the circle would be darker some times and lighter others would be the sign of being in focus when lighter. similar to the ring around my split prism focus screen