Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quantary 70-300mm Macro

I shot about 65 photos today with this lens, which shows up as a Tamron in PhotoMe EXIF data. Most of the shots I was trying to capture birds in trees with a lot of sky background. I had to crop a lot to get a good size image and to eliminate branches, sky etc. All of the photos showed really bad purple fringe around the bird and tree branches. Also none of the photos were very sharp, even though I used a tripod. None were worth saving.

Is this purple fringing caused by cheap lens, camera, or me? The camera is a K200D. I was using Av mode, and was bracketing shots.

bluestringer

12-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PF is a problem common among inexpensive zooms. Try stopping down to f/11 or more for long shots and always use a hood. PF can be removed in post-process fairly easily. Someone here on the forums recently posted some very nice shots at the Ft Worth Zoo using this lens. I don't have the link, but you can check it out in the "post your photos" section.
12-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes, I saw those photos, they were excellent. I think the lens used was actually a Tamron, not a rebranded Quantary. I wonder if there is a difference. I took some other photos today with this lens, one of my dog that I posted in the Post Your Photos section and it looks ok. I was using a lens hoods, and F/11. I think part of my problem was the birds were high up in a Pecan tree, and just too far away to get a good shot. I'm using Faststone for PP and couldn't find any way to remove the PF, but even if I did, the detail and sharpness just wasn't there to make a good photo.Thanks. I'll keep trying with it, or maybe look into getting a better lens.

bluestringer
12-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some high-contrast scenes are difficult for many lenses, not just the cheaper ones. A tree branch against the sky is a classic example. Don't be afraid to stop it down to f/16 if necessary, esp. at the long end of your lens. You could also try manual focus if your AF is hunting quite a bit. I've heard good things about Faststone, but dont have much experience with it. Most of the commercial image editors will have PF tools. For a freeware solution, the GIMP has a couple of PF scripts - this one works pretty well: Fixing Purple Fringing and Chromatic Aberration with Darla's GIMP Scripts for Digital Photographs

Last edited by paulh; 12-02-2011 at 02:53 PM.
12-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, I saw those photos, they were excellent. I think the lens used was actually a Tamron, not a rebranded Quantary. I wonder if there is a difference.

No, funny I did the same as you are thinking about doing; switched my Quantary 70-300mm for the Tamron 70-300mm. They are the very same lens in all ways good/bad. Then I switch my Tamron for the Sigma 70-300mm APO. That lens had no CA/PF, but was very soft from 200-300mm compared to the Tamron. The Tamron is a good lens especially for the money. The whole focal length is usable at decently low F/stop numbers. Just learn to use tools that can remove the PF and CA. Also learn when the lens will cause PF/CA and try to avoid it. But if you need the shot take it and use PP to get rid of the PF/CA. With one photo app you can remove PF/CA with a push of a button.