Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well after looking at your picture I'd have to agree.. I just couldn't handle that noise either.. I think you should send me your K-5 for further inspection.. then when my wife is out shooting with your K-5, I can go shoot with mine!

Attached Images

12-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Well after looking at your picture I'd have to agree.. I just couldn't handle that noise either.. I think you should send me your K-5 for further inspection.. then when my wife is out shooting with your K-5, I can go shoot with mine!
Hilarious.
12-06-2011, 06:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Nothing a little NR can't fix!
12-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #19

I had a go at the .dng file and opened it with photome. The image looks fine to me, apart from the underexposure and white balance (set to auto and way to blue. WB set to "Shade" might have been better).
After taking it for a spin in RawTherapee and FastStone, it is actually a fine photograph of the young gentleman. The eyes and teeth sharpen up nicely and show little motion blur,
even at 300%. There is indeed some motion blur in the dogs and the arm that pitches the ball, but that is to be expected. WB corrected nicely (obviously a personal choice).

At 1/160thsec with SR not active, it is pretty good. DOF in the image makes me guess at F/4 or lower.

Attached Images

12-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
A lot of people combine high ISO with underexposure. When one does this, there is going to be noise, it's a fact of life. The K5 will give less noise than most other cameras out there in this scenario, but it isn't going to be noise free,
Couldn't agree more, that's exactly what I was initially finding, having to do NR on ISO1600 files dragged up > 2/3's of a stop in PP. Since I've been shooting manual in these low light situations, I'm using up to ISO4000 with no post prod NR required because I'm getting the exposure right in camera.

Bottom line, as good as the DR and high ISO performance is in the K-5, it is no substitute for getting your exposure right in camera. FWIW, in consistant low light (eg indoor concerts) auto or semi-auto modes vary exposure shot to shot, which is exactly what you don't want when riding high ISO's.
12-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I pushed it one stop and changed white balance to Cloudy, changed the image tone to Portrait (the original Natural works too). It looks good to me. I don't see a noise issue at all.

12-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

The shot was at 400ISO, so I was a bit surprised to see noise, but then again I didn't notice the underexposure.

I've got capture one working so I'll hopefully notice underexposure n stuff a bit more with my normal workflow.

I'll have to reprocess it though after looking at the last two. My colour balance is a fair wack off (after an adjustment in c1).

12-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Judging by the long shadows I'd go for a much warmer colour balance. It is about a stop and a bit underexposed. Procesed with Silkypix 5.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-10-2011, 06:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Judging by the long shadows I'd go for a much warmer colour balance.
That is nice. Seems to express the time of day much better.
12-10-2011, 06:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
That is nice. Seems to express the time of day much better.
Thanks. The magic hour when the light is golden with almost a green tinge to it is a wonderful time of the day to shoot. And yet another example why shooting RAW gives you a better chance to fix the shot