Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2011, 05:26 AM   #1

Highlight color change

I'm getting pink to purplish colors around high contrast areas, such as water edges, bright whites on a subject etc. Why, and how do I fix that so I get natural color? I'm shooting with K 10D which I adore, but need to solve this one issue.

12-05-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You mean Purple Fringing? It mostly depends on your optics (how the lens is designed) and generally becomes better when you stop down.
12-05-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PattiP Quote
I'm getting pink to purplish colors around high contrast areas, such as water edges, bright whites on a subject etc. Why, and how do I fix that so I get natural color? I'm shooting with K 10D which I adore, but need to solve this one issue.
All lenses can exhibit this, but some much more than others.

Easily removed in post processing using Photoshop, etc.
12-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another tip is to not overexpose, as the more light there is, the worse the fringing gets.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-06-2011, 05:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
Purple Fringing

Thanks for these answers. I'll try the hints. One more question re "post processing with Photoshop." Not sure how that works? Can you provide more detail on that. I have Photo Elements 9 which I just got, so I'm a new user... thanks again for the answers to my first question.
12-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The absolute quickest way I've found to mitigate this is in Adobe Camera Raw, which bundles with PS/LR/Elements. Go to the HSL/Grayscale tab (icon like a wavy line), go to the saturation tab of that, and desaturate purples (drastically, if needed).

There are probably better ways of doing it, but this is quick and easy.
12-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll look for that method. Not sure I have that. I purchased the Adobe Premiere and Elements 9 bundle but haven't see "Adobe Raw" but then I haven't looked.

R,
Patti
12-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Are you shooting raw or jpeg? Sorry, I sometimes forget for a moment that some people stay with jpegs. Adobe Camera Raw is a plugin for editing/correcting raw files, primarily. There are bunches of threads about the advantages and drawbacks to shooting raw, if you need more info on that. My personal preference is to shoot the DNG format, which I process in ACR and an old version of PS.

12-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

you do not need adobe for this, any good photo editor has a purple fringe removal tool

I use corel PSP it works just fine.

care to post a sample?
12-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #10

Original Poster
I primarily shoot in JPEG but when I use RAW it is set to DNG. I wasn't aware that Adobe had a plug in for interpreting RAW, so I'll look for that online, thanks.

All hints are helpful, a large majority of my photos are on the water, must be shot in "auto" mode due to the actions that I'm shooting or waterfowl... so I really need to resolve this purple fringe issue quickly. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
12-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Check you have the latest plugin for your version of Elements:
Adobe - Photoshop Elements : For Windows : Camera Raw 6.3 update for Elements

And this Google will show lots of hits (and misses!) for removing chromatic abberation with Elements 9:
Google

PS using Av or Tv modes might work better than full auto.
12-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

just to show what you can do with a JPEG, using Corel PSP and the purple fringe removal tool, note the last photos in the link below.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/164138-tamron-a...ml#post1700109

this was a single click of the mouse.
12-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks, will download and try. :-))