Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This is a scary one isn't it!

I have a number of the non-Pentax infinity focusing Pentax adapters and the first experience was with a bellows that I purposely tightened on hard (to get the bellows and body to orient properly). After the initial sparring to get it off (I finally figured out how) I determined that if you remove the little spring clip, bend it back toward the adapter a bit, and put it back in place, the adapter holds OK to the camera and it does not get stuck on the camera! There is a bit of a knack to adjusting the clip and taking the adapter on and off the body, but once you have the procedure down, (do it at home under calm circumstances first) it works well. Having the little spanner wrench that is supposed to come with the adapter is a BIG help!

I don't know why, but there is something special about some of these older screw on lenses that add to the image. The bokah, the contrast, they really knew how to make lenses then, and this was before computers and CAD software!

Regards,

03-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #17

Not so easy

As i am in the UK, and its a nice american number

This is why i buy a clone one in the 1st place its impossible to buy a genuine one over here.... grrr
03-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
John,

I tried to call, however the call was disconnected. Unfortunately not enough time right now to call them, as our first baby has just arrived.
03-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Bonsoir,

With all of horror stories that I've stumble across, I recently bought A OEM Pentax ring from B&H, had it sent to my mom in the States, then she mailed it to me. Why? Because the OEM adapter is 60 EUROS(60 E x 1.35 = over 80 bucks!).
Well, my fellow European, since we're in the same boat, do you by any chance have experience with the cheapo one-piece adapters seen on the bay?

03-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian

No "El Cheapo Bay" for me ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Well, my fellow European, since we're in the same boat, do you by any chance have experience with the cheapo one-piece adapters seen on the bay?
Bonsoir Giklab,

I have shy-ed away form the "el-cheapo's" for the moment because it would be going on a new K-5 ... not worth the risk IMHO, plus wanted to keep "infinity", etc. for the Super-Tak 55/1.8 and any other later M42 lenses.

There's a photo swap meet nearby in two weeks time, thus I may pick up one there just to see ... on verra.

Allez et bonsoir, John le "Green Grenouille"
03-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #21

Be cautious, as the cheepo one I bought looked lovely, and the finish and fit was super, but it locked in position, i wanted to use it with a K-r

On the K-r if you look by the red dot where you align the lens, you will see part of the spring clip that angles down, snuggly into the mouth to the lens rebate, my cheapo caught on that... i guess i could grind a chamfer on the adapter , but i am not risking it again. As the clip is hard against the body , you can't remove it without removing the original lens mount from the camera ( and that was a disaster for me)

Last edited by acmenet; 04-10-2012 at 11:36 PM.
09-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Curses. My genuine Pentax adapter is stuck on my K-7.

Edit: I went away, had a cup of tea, read some threads on stuck adapters - then came back to it.

I've now released it but I can't determine what I did differently nor what was causing the problem. I am, however, tempted to remove the spring.

I'm reluctant to use it again!

I don't know if the design has changed over the years. I bought my adapter in 1989.

Last edited by p38arover; 09-06-2013 at 09:35 PM.
09-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I've now released it but I can't determine what I did differently nor what was causing the problem. I am, however, tempted to remove the spring.
When you remove the spring, run your finger over all the sharp edges. I think that is what causes the problems. They grip the mount. I took a fine file and took the sharp edges off, and that seems to have fixed the problem.
09-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks, Arnold. I'll give that a try.

I might experiment mounting and removing it from an old SF-7 I no longer use!
09-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #25
Inactive Account

When you unscrew the M42 lens from the adapter. It backs up the adapter and tends to jam the spring, preventing it from releasing. Try turning the adapter clockwise a bit to give the spring clearance. Plus a light polishing of all the spring edges with some 600 grit wet/dry paper will help remove the sharp edges that can cause other jams.
09-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the adapter subject, I too have had an M42 mount stuck, luckily I figured out how to get it off! As for the spring clip, I did not remove it, but bent it down so the lens release button works fine for it. I have installed M42 mounts (3rd party) pretty much permanently on a few of my screw mount lenses and the go on and off like a k mount lens now!

Good luck!
03-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I'd ask for your opinion concering this M42-to-PK adapter: Focus Infinity M42 Lens Mount Adapter for PK Pentax K10D K20D KM K7 K200D | eBay

There's also a brief instruction included... One point seems me interesting:
"To Remove:
Remove both lens / adapter together from the camera, press the lens lock and then remove the adapter
from the lens simultaneously"

Could it really work like it's described?
03-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Could it really work like it's described?
If so, it would be an entirely different sort of adapter and not the one pictured with the listing. The one pictured is a generic 3rd-party adapter with retainer spring along with its removal tool. The retainer spring means that the lens and adapter are removed separately.

As with most such adapters, the safest approach is to remove the retainer spring so it will not become stuck in the mount. This leaves the adapter free to rotate () and possibly fall out, but some users have managed by notching the lens base to engage the K-mount retaining pin.

Steve
03-26-2015, 03:29 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This leaves the adapter free to rotate () and possibly fall out, but some users have managed by notching the lens base to engage the K-mount retaining pin.

Steve
Sounds worse than it actually is, takes quite a bit of force to turn it once it's on, and it won't accidentally slip off. The biggest threat is always user error.

My cheap chinese adapter stays on my helios 44-2 and I've never had an issue.
03-26-2015, 03:45 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Sounds worse than it actually is, takes quite a bit of force to turn it once it's on, and it won't accidentally slip off. The biggest threat is always user error.

My cheap chinese adapter stays on my helios 44-2 and I've never had an issue.

Yeah... I believe for a lens of 44-2 size (and price...) it's not that big issue. But to do the same with Helios 40-2 (the heavy 85 mm beast)...? But maybe I'll simply try and order couple of them, remove the spring and test it. I only have about 5 M42 lenses and this would make it a little easier to use them.
Closed Thread