Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2015, 05:24 AM   #31

But there is in adapter that can be removed just by pressing the release button? Maybe I want to use de 50mm easier (stick it)
I have the genuine one, but every lens is different. The Takumar and Helios 44 works great (I don't like when they touch those mount contacts), but I have a Carl Zeiss Jena which is thicker and I think the adapter is moving after I screw it on.

03-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Sounds worse than it actually is
That depends on the adapter. Those that are poorly machined are often nicely tight in the mount. Those that are properly made should be fairly loose unless the lens flange is snugged up to the camera flange.

Steve
03-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by semaca Quote
But there is in adapter that can be removed just by pressing the release button?
No, such an adapter does not exist. If you take a close look at the mount you will be able to see why.

QuoteOriginally posted by semaca Quote
I have the genuine one, but every lens is different. The Takumar and Helios 44 works great (I don't like when they touch those mount contacts), but I have a Carl Zeiss Jena which is thicker and I think the adapter is moving after I screw it on.
The genuine adapter is supposed to be loose in the mount when no lens is mounted. Screwing in the lens will snug the adapter up against the tangs in the body such that the mating of the lens mount face against the body mount face provides the proper flange distance and proper infinity focus. Don't worry about the mount contacts. They are designed to accommodate screw holes and such. As for your CZJ being thicker, that should make no difference. If you have doubts, mount the adapter to the lens first and the combination to the camera. When it clicks in, all is good. The genuine adapter will not over-rotate in the mount.*

Steve

* Third-party adapters, on the other hand, will often over-rotate.
03-27-2015, 12:00 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That depends on the adapter. Those that are poorly machined are often nicely tight in the mount. Those that are properly made should be fairly loose unless the lens flange is snugged up to the camera flange.

Steve
Fair point, perhaps i was just lucky

03-27-2015, 01:34 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is funny to read those threads , they are popping up now an then don't they ? But I have been there and done that myself back in 2007 having just bough a K10D I also bough an adapter for my m42 lenses - enough said that it ended with a pricey repair ( I broke the connector cable under the mount when removing the adapter ) - but back then it wasn't that obvious what is the genuine m42 adapter and how they differed from the knock-off one.

With the amount of knowledge and threads like this one I hardy can understand why people with expensive lenses are then skimping $40-60 to buy a proper genuine adapter from Pentax?
I see them readilly available in like new or better condition constantly on ebay uk for roughly 30-40 - it is equivalent of $50 - 60 and it really is superior in both design and materials to those cheap ones. First of all they get stuck , also they tend to scratch M42 mount lens with their screw retaining the clip in place ( which is too long ), and also the screw then tends to get loose and might fall off inside the camera ( which will rather be fatal ). Lastly they often struggle with infinity accuracy ( at least one my adapter is not focusing to infinity ( I am not talking about the black ones with flange), and so I use it only with that in mind).

Anyway I recommend to buy a genuine one for most of the time, and 3rd party adapters only with the spring clip removed, mounted semi-permanently on the lenses that are mounting with no excessive looseness.
03-27-2015, 03:56 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am using cheap adapters all the time. At the first time I used one it seemed to be stuck. Screwing out the M42 lens and bending the clip inwards a bit I managed to loosen and to unmount it at last.
Now I always remove the clip and drill down a little pit at the appropriate position of the lens that the lens can be locked by the camera.

There are some lenses however, that cannot be treated this way, the Russian Jupiter 4.0/200mm f.ex.
So I am still searching a solution for them.

What I cannot understand is, why one should want to unscrew the mount at the camera, when taking of the lens and bending (or unscrewing) the clip will do the trick. Or is there a pitfall I haven't noticed yet?

Last edited by forest_bear59; 03-27-2015 at 06:07 AM.
03-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by forest_bear59 Quote
Or is there a pitfall I haven't noticed yet?
Ummmm...how about poor machining resulting in metal shards inside the camera (personal experience)? As noted by manntax, the quality of most third-party adapters is poor. The evidence is how well they fit in the mount. The adapter, when not attached to a lens, should be loose in the mount. If it is not, it is due to improper machining.

The full list of cautions/disclaimers/notes goes like this:
  • With retaining spring intact the risk of stuck adapter is high
  • With retaining spring removed, you must either trust friction or physically modify the lens to keep it in place on the camera
  • Poor machining may result in damage to lens threads
  • Poor machining may result in metal shards inside the camera
  • Poor machining may result in over-rotation in the mount (problem only for cameras with non-crippled K-mount, but is root cause for the adapter getting stuck)
  • There are good quality third-party adapters, but finding them may be difficult*
I understand that the price of the genuine adapter in Europe is quite high. Here in the U.S. it is somewhat less, but still unreasonably expensive. I paid less than $20 USD each for my two genuine adapters in 2008.

Steve

* The adapters from SRB Griturn (made in UK) are reputed to be quite good. At one time there were "Made in Japan" adapters with a stop-down ledge that were also supposed to be quite good, though I have not seen those for some time.
03-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by forest_bear59 Quote
What I cannot understand is, why one should want to unscrew the mount at the camera
Perhaps because the lens is a screw mount lens? The adapter allows your camera to emulate a screw-mount body, not the other way around. Back in the day, this was no big deal. I can tell you from personal experience* that the loss of diaphragm automation was a much bigger pain at the time among users transitioning between systems and in my mind still is.

Steve

* Yes, I was shooting both M42 and K-mount systems in the late 1970s to early 1980s and still do to this day.

01-07-2016, 06:25 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
On the adapter subject, I too have had an M42 mount stuck, luckily I figured out how to get it off! As for the spring clip, I did not remove it, but bent it down so the lens release button works fine for it. I have installed M42 mounts (3rd party) pretty much permanently on a few of my screw mount lenses and the go on and off like a k mount lens now!

Good luck!
How did you get it off? I've got a copy adapter stuck on my K-7. Even the solution of screwing of the mount doesn't work for me as the adapter is covering the screws.

Thank you!
01-08-2016, 12:48 AM   #40
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
How did you get it off? I've got a copy adapter stuck on my K-7. Even the solution of screwing of the mount doesn't work for me as the adapter is covering the screws.

Thank you!
If your adapter is covering the mount screws then you are using a noninfinity adapter and they are removed by pressing the standard lens release button.
Hey guys if there is one thing to be learned by these repetitive horror stories regarding damaged camera mount it has to be ------Don't remove the camera body lens mount!!. Take it to someone with some more experience than yourself.
06-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #41

Easy removal of M42 adapter

No tools required. Follow this simple method described in a Youtube clip:
06-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by subbull Quote
No tools required. Follow this simple method described in a Youtube clip: How to remove Pentax screw-mount M42 adapter - YouTube
Thanks for posting - but this is an old thread, so I'm closing it
Closed Thread