Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Total picture distortion. Left 4/5 th of images is underexposed..

The left four fifths of all my K20D pictures is severley distorted:

- It is +-2 stops darker
- turns magenta
- is grainy and dirty

This problem started suddenly and now is in each picture I take, wahtever the settings.
Updating the camera firmware or formatting the sd card did not help.
The camera is out of warranty.

What is this?

Is there any way to reste or troubleshoot this?

I have found someone with same problem on fixya, Left two fifths of the picture is one to two stops darker - FixYa , but did not get a solution. Iam quite new on this forum, please help me.

Attached Images

12-07-2011, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

It's a sensor fault, basically not fixable sorry
12-07-2011, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Looks like you're camera may be damaged.
I guess the next steps are to try and determine if this is truly the case(and not some other issue) and then, whether its worth getting fixed or not(if that is the case).

Last edited by JohnBee; 12-07-2011 at 03:27 AM.
12-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. This makes a good welcome on the forum, since I am new here, I am glad there is reaction on my call.

@Twitch : How does the sensor become so faulty all of a sudden? I did some time-lapse work with it, and thought it might have been the shutter, but that was just a wild guess. Now it seems to be the sensor. How can one tell? Does this mean the sensor has to be replaced?
@Twitch & @JohnBee : Seems serious. Should I throw away the camera or go for reparation?

What would a sensor replacement cost me?

12-07-2011, 03:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You could ask Pentax service (CRIS) for a quote, but I'd be surprised if it was economical to fix vs. buying a replacement K20D second hand. I noticed K-7's are almost down to $500 now.
12-07-2011, 03:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
You could ask Pentax service (CRIS) for a quote, but I'd be surprised if it was economical to fix vs. buying a replacement K20D second hand. I noticed K-7's are almost down to $500 now.
And I saw some nice K20D'd going for around $300
12-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Redbip Quote
@Twitch & @JohnBee : Seems serious. Should I throw away the camera or go for reparation?

What would a sensor replacement cost me?
Sorry, I missed your quote earlier....

On the issue of throwing away, I would never recommend anyone throw away a camera, even if it is broken.
Camera equipment is way cool to throw away, and always good for parts, props, dangerous missions etc etc ).

Having said that, I think its worth testing thoroughly before calling it also. Perhaps try everything in the book to make absolutely sure(on your end) that it is the camera and not something else. Even if it seems very likely that the camera is faulty. Who knows right? For example, have you tried using a different memory card? Different lens, different battery, with and without the grip, different modes and so on and so forth to determine if the issue is repeatable?

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JohnBee; 12-07-2011 at 03:27 AM.
12-07-2011, 03:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How does it work in B&W? Could be interesting having a monochrome only 2nd body.

12-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Exposure?

I'm thinking shutter hang?
12-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shutter problem

I've seen this kind of thing a hundred times with film cameras. However, it was always with a cloth shutter like the ones found on old manual focus cameras that travel from right to left. The problem then was either the shutter was hanging, or more commonly, the user was using a flash with too fast of a shutter speed. Your camera probably has a shutter comprised of several blades which could not cause this issus since the shutter blades move verticaly.
So I suspect that it's the sensor. Call your local service center. They may know what's going on w/o even looking at it, and maybe give you a repair range over the phone.
12-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snkenai Quote
I'm thinking shutter hang?
QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
I've seen this kind of thing a hundred times with film cameras. However, it was always with a cloth shutter like the ones found on old manual focus cameras that travel from right to left. The problem then was either the shutter was hanging, or more commonly, the user was using a flash with too fast of a shutter speed. Your camera probably has a shutter comprised of several blades which could not cause this issus since the shutter blades move verticaly.
So I suspect that it's the sensor. Call your local service center. They may know what's going on w/o even looking at it, and maybe give you a repair range over the phone.
wrong orientation for vertically travelling shutter. I know I had my K10D shutter fail

for the OP what about memory card

might be worth a check, to replace the sensor/main board is in the order of $300
12-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is a loooooong shot, but I had a problem with a green left quarter of the picture. It was intermittent, but seemed to have been cured by a firmware update. Might be worth a try, but if my intermittent problem comes back, I will hopefully end up with a K5. All said, the K20 is a lovely camera