Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Using PK mount lenses on K5

Recently I bought a K5 believing that all Pentax lenses would be compatible. I have an old lens with a PK mount and it goes onto the K5 just fine but I get an error message - a flashing F in the LCD/Monitor. and the shutter won't release. What's up with this? Anyone know?

12-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are instructions on how to use the lens:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kennuck Quote
Recently I bought a K5 believing that all Pentax lenses would be compatible. Anyone know?
I hate to tell you this... I hope you are sitting down but it is true. Now prepare yourself for a downward spiral into buying lenses of all focal lengths, questionable reputation and at a variety of costs.
Just be aware of P-KR mount lenses.
12-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. I figured out that the one I have is fully manual and I have to set my camera for Manual aperture ring in Custom Settings as well. It's doable but not the best. Fortunately the PK lens I have only cost $15 - no great loss.

12-08-2011, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What's wrong with shooting in M mode? People did that for a century before autoexposure came along, and most of them didn't have a simple button they could press to set exposure for them. Don't write it off so quickly!
12-08-2011, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam. I figured out that the one I have is fully manual and I have to set my camera for Manual aperture ring in Custom Settings as well. It's doable but not the best. Fortunately the PK lens I have only cost $15 - no great loss.
If you read through you'd see that after setting the camera to M mode and setting the aperture ring to your desired setting, it only takes a press of the green button to get proper metering? Takes a split-second.
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #7

Original Poster
Very good point pxpaulx. I have been meaning to get back to more manual control over my photography. I think what thrum me was the error message and not knowing what it meant. Now that I know a setting needs to be changed in the camera I am fine. Thanks.
12-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Now that I know a setting needs to be changed in the camera I am fine. Thanks.
Once you set it to allow the aperture ring, there is no need to ever turn the option off. When a lens with the "A" setting or an autofocus lens is mounted, the camera ignores that setting and everything works as you would expect.

There has been speculation on this and other forums, as to why Pentax made the default "Off", or why the option even exists in the first place. To my knowledge, no one has ever come up with a really good explanation. I have never heard of or encountered a scenario in which it is desirable to have the option turned off. When I got my K10D, four years ago, I set it on and forgot about it.

12-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #9

Original Poster
A friend of mine who is also a keen photographer and knows his cameras once described Pentax cameras a very good but a bit "quirky." I think he was right. After using Nikons for many years I am finding my K5 to certainly be a bit quirky.
12-08-2011, 07:15 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Some tips on manual control and manual lenses:

* MFL's may have PK-A mount (with aperture-control contacts on the base); with PK-M mount (with just a mechanical aperture linkage); with simple PK mount (no aperture linkage); or in various modded or screwmounts. With an A-type lens, just set the camera to any Auto mode, set the aperture ring to A, and don't worry. With a simple PK or a modded lens or an adapted screwmount, set the camera to any Auto mode (it will default to Av) and spin the aperture ring for control. For manual control, or with any M-type (including K-type) lens, read on.

* Pentax K-type (they just say SMC on the front) and M-type lenses will only work wide-open if the camera is in any Auto mode. Set the camera to M mode, press the Green button, and the camera will mechanically stop-down the lens for metering and exposures. I often leave the mode dial to the setting just below M; on my K20D and your K5, that's TAv. On a Kr or Kx it's probably Av. But it's a handy position. To shoot stopped-down, quick-dial to M and hit the Green button. To shoot wide-open, dial back to Av and let the camera worry about the shutter speed.

* Manual exposure is handy with AF and A-type lenses as well as their predecessors. Auto exposures can vary depending on shifting light|shade qualities. I like to take a manual reading off a gray card or my hand or whatever. This reads incident (ambient) light, the light falling on the subject, not the light that variously reflects from the subject field.

I'll throw out some other tips when I think of them. I think I'm going to sleep now. Zzzz...
12-08-2011, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

My only non AF lens is a K50/1.2. I use it all the time in Av mode, but as mentioned before, it meters wide open.
12-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
My only non AF lens is a K50/1.2. I use it all the time in Av mode, but as mentioned before, it meters wide open.
And I use mine with the M-TAv trick I mentioned above: TAv for wide-open, or quick-flip to M+Grn.btn for stop-down metering and exposure. Works like a charm!
12-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anything seems quirky if you're used to something else. To me, any camera without a button to automatically set exposure in M mode is "quirky" to the point of being unusable. Different strokes.

As for why the default for "use aperture ring" is off, I think my speculation makes sense: it is so that if a user accidentally (or deliberately) knocks the aperture ring off "A" (for a lens that supports "A"), he gets immediate feedback that something is wrong. As opposed to waiting until he gets home to find out all his shots were taken wide open.