Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #1

Some shots overexposed, no change to equipment?

Equipment: Pentax k20d, Alien Bee 800, 2 slave flashes, 50mm manual lens & 24mm manual lens.

So I was doing this shoot indoors in a tiny living room. The alien bee was directly over camera, pointing down onto the subjects. The 2 slaves were pointing from the sides to the wall, sides of tree. I used my 50mm, f8, 1/125 at ISO 100.

I'd take a few shots that looked ok, and then noticed that every few shots in between were terribly overexposed. I'm enclosing a sample so you can see what I mean.

NO changes to the camera/lens. NO changes to the lighting. The slaves and the alien bee fired each time.

I kept double checking my lens to see if I accidentally bumped it down to 1.4 or something, but it was still at 8! What was strange was that I switched it to 11 and even 16. When it captured the correct image, it was darker than what it should have been for each of those settings, BUT when it captured it as "overexposed" there was no difference in the overexposed images at 8, 11 and 16. They all looked like the overexposed image below???

I swapped out my lens at one point to my 24mm, and got the same results.

First time I've ever seen this, and I've used this lighting setup before without this issue.

Ideas?

Lighting, camera, lens???

Attached Images

12-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe the aperture blades are sticky?