Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax IstDs and AF 500FTZ flash tips

Hi everyone, love the page, so helpful the people here. Here is my question: I bought a Pentax AF 500FTZ flash for my pentax IstDs camera and I would like to know: what settings or modes can you recommend me for using this flash with my camera?

12-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always shoot manual mode, and set exposure without flash to be about -1stop
12-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I also shoot manual. I have a Sigma 500 flash and use shutter speed 1/125 sec or so and aperture to taste and choose an ISO that works for the distance I'm shooting at (I start at ISO 400). I then let the TTL on the flash auto-adjustment for my setting. When using a flash diffuser, I often have to bump the exposure compensation on the flash about +1.

Tim
12-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The *istDs still supports TTL, so you should be able to use the flash in TTL mode

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter

The benefit to setting the shutter speed and aperture manually is that you can control the amount of ambient light in the background. If you shoot in Tv, Av, or one of the auto modes, the camera chooses the background. The flash will still adjust itself to the settings.

Tim
12-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I always shoot manual mode, and set exposure without flash to be about -1stop
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The *istDs still supports TTL, so you should be able to use the flash in TTL mode
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
The benefit to setting the shutter speed and aperture manually is that you can control the amount of ambient light in the background. If you shoot in Tv, Av, or one of the auto modes, the camera chooses the background. The flash will still adjust itself to the settings.

Tim
I guess I should have specified clearly, TTL flash in Manual camera mode. as tim describes, usually with the ambient light about 1-2 stops below required exposure, and let the flash make up the difference.

I do this because in high ambient light conditions, the ambient light can lead to ghosting , double images, or over exposure as the shutter can remain open after flash has ended.

I use the AF500FTZ on my *istD (the flash was a carry over from my film days with the PZ-1) regardles of what lens I use, i.e. legacy lens with no aperture contacts or new AF lens, because I find that the flash duration at any given power setting seems to be shorter than the AF540FGZ that I use on mewer bodies. Part of this may be due to the fact that the flash was designed to be used with the PZ-1 that had a max sync of 1/250 and hence would require a shorter duration.

It may not be completely scientific, but