Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fast Moving Objects

Is there like a technique to shooting moving objects, my Tamron 28-75 cant focus that fast enough. Only solution I can really think of is manual focus.

12-09-2011, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Pre-focus and trap-in-focus are going to help a lot.
12-09-2011, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

To expand a bit: Trap-focus aka catch-in-focus (CIF) is very useful. Prefocus on a spot and hold down the shutter button. When a subject comes into focus there, the shutter snaps.

Another technique is zone-focus or hyperfocus. Set the focus and aperture for a desired DOF and hit the shutter when the subject is within that zone. I pace-off distances for this trick.

Yet another way is to set your autofocus to AF.C (continuous) and the drive mode to burst or continuous, and just spray-and-pray.

And of course, if the subject isn't too far away, a BIG HONKING FLASH may stop its motion visually. Good luck!
12-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Pre-focus and trap-in-focus are going to help a lot.
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
To expand a bit: Trap-focus aka catch-in-focus (CIF) is very useful. Prefocus on a spot and wait for the subject to move into focus there. Another technique is zone-focus or hyperfocus. Set the focus and aperture for a desired DOF and hit the shutter when the subject is within that zone. Yet another way is to set your autofocus to AF.C (continuous) and the drive mode to burst or continuous, and just spray-and-pray. If the subject isn't too far away, a BIG HONKING FLASH may stop its motion visually. Good luck!
Thanks guys, going to give this a shot!

12-09-2011, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Brooke Meyer

Track with AF Button

Follow the subject using the rear AF button. Stay on it and you'll be good when you press the shutter. This with a Tamron 28-75. I have lots more with the Tamron.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
12-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Brooke Meyer

Track with AF Button

Follow the subject using the rear AF button. Stay on it and you'll be good when you press the shutter. This with a Tamron 28-75. I have lots more with the Tamron.
12-09-2011, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

You don't say what the object is but panning can also help especially if used in conjunction with AF.C.

12-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Not to sound dumb, but rear AF button? And excellent picture!

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
You don't say what the object is but panning can also help especially if used in conjunction with AF.C.
Like moving cars, moving people (especially breakdancers)
12-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LegOverHead Quote
Not to sound dumb, but rear AF button?
You did not mention which camera you have but the AF button is a button on the back of some Pentax cameras. I know the k-x and k5 have it not sure about others. It needs configured in the menus depending on how you want it to work. It can be in addition to the AF function in the shutter release or instead of it.
12-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After reading advice about using the rear AF button repeatedly over the last few years, I decided to give it a try at my recent dance shoot.

Frankly, I didn't see the point to it. All it did for me was give me an awkward grip in the camera.
12-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
After reading advice about using the rear AF button repeatedly over the last few years, I decided to give it a try at my recent dance shoot.

Frankly, I didn't see the point to it. All it did for me was give me an awkward grip in the camera.
I use the rear AF button on my K20D very very rarely. For me, it's only to prefocus to bring the AF into the right range to avoid hunting at a critical moment. Yes, it makes for a very clumsy and awkward grip. I certainly wouldn't use it to track fast-moving objects.
12-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm sure it's different on different models, but on the K200D, I can and do shoot with my thumb on the OK button (our equivalent of the AF button) all day long and I don't find it awkward at all. On the contrary, I find it essential, and wouldn't want to consider working without that option for moving targets. But FWIW, I have it set so the button temporarily cancels AF, rather than to enable it. So shutter does AF *unless* my thumb is on the button. I totally depend on this in my following of moving targets. Both for the ability to prefocus but also because with my thumb on the button, I can track focus manually. Beats having to actually constantly switch in and out of MF mode using the lever on the front of the camera. This assumes, of course, you are using a lens with Quick Shift.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 12-11-2011 at 04:49 PM.
12-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You did not mention which camera you have but the AF button is a button on the back of some Pentax cameras. I know the k-x and k5 have it not sure about others. It needs configured in the menus depending on how you want it to work. It can be in addition to the AF function in the shutter release or instead of it.
Using the Pentax K100DS
12-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #14
Brooke Meyer

Takes a little practice

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

It might take a little getting used to. I've done it for so long, its second nature. This from today. Tamron again. too.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

If you are shooting cars, use continuous focus and panning, but don't stop panning right when you push the shutter release button, continue panning as the car passes by.

Here are a couple I shot.

Btw, Both are running around 200 mph.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DL  Photo