Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #1

Help on buying a lens...

Dear Friends,

I need to buy a lens to meet up with few requirements.

I need to reach 300mm range. and I need to go for macro too. Please advice me on selecting a proper lens with a limited budget like 250$.

I'm having some thoughts on Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS and Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro Super (AFlens).
Does this both lenses support macro feature?

In addition propose me a lens or lens combination which would fulfill my requirements. Thank you friends in advance. Small gift attached. The lunar eclipse on 10th December, 2011 from Sri Lanka. Taken with my kx @ 200mm.

Thank you again,

Sanjaya

Attached Images

12-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The so called macro feature on the Sigma is just a close focus, not a true macro ability. For $250 you might look at the Pentax 55-300 FL. I tried the Sigma and it just isn't as sharp or as fast at most focal lengths. I have the regular 55-300, which I'm very happy with. The FL version just has a plastic base. It won't focus quite as close as the Sigma, but I can still get decent closeups with it.
12-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax 55-300 is the best new AF lens in that focal length for under $350. Any step up in IQ will be 2X the cost. It does not focus very closely even as a regular zoom, so you would need a close-up attachment. You will need a hood if you get the DAL version.

However, the best macro lenses are dedicated macro lenses. Manual focus is normally used with macros, so you can save some money on older ones.
12-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi

The Tamron Adaptall 2 60-300, Very good and excellent macro as well, check out the reviews here.

12-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As you will see if you search or browse the many, many existing threads on this topic, or read the reviews in the Lens section of this forum, the DA55-300 is the universal choice. Stick a $50 Raynox or other other high quality close up attachment on it and it becomes a far better macro lens as well as a far bettert telephoto lens than either of the ones you mentioned.
12-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
PENTAX DA L 55-300mm

Thank You very much friends. So shall I finalize on PENTAX DA L 55-300mm. As I read on the reviews no major optical difference between the DA version and DA L version. Am I correct ?
I don't know much about Raynox thing. Is it lens adapter ? Please give me a better suggestion if possible in selecting a raynox. Thank You in advance for the advices you are giving.

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
The so called macro feature on the Sigma is just a close focus, not a true macro ability. For $250 you might look at the Pentax 55-300 FL. I tried the Sigma and it just isn't as sharp or as fast at most focal lengths. I have the regular 55-300, which I'm very happy with. The FL version just has a plastic base. It won't focus quite as close as the Sigma, but I can still get decent closeups with it.
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The Pentax 55-300 is the best new AF lens in that focal length for under $350. Any step up in IQ will be 2X the cost. It does not focus very closely even as a regular zoom, so you would need a close-up attachment. You will need a hood if you get the DAL version.

However, the best macro lenses are dedicated macro lenses. Manual focus is normally used with macros, so you can save some money on older ones.
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Hi

The Tamron Adaptall 2 60-300, Very good and excellent macro as well, check out the reviews here.
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
As you will see if you search or browse the many, many existing threads on this topic, or read the reviews in the Lens section of this forum, the DA55-300 is the universal choice. Stick a $50 Raynox or other other high quality close up attachment on it and it becomes a far better macro lens as well as a far bettert telephoto lens than either of the ones you mentioned.
12-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Raynox DCR-150 Macro conversion lens for D-SLR camera