Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #1

upgrade from K100D super?

Hi , i have a K 100 d SUPER, it was the cheapest DLSR on the market that did everything i was looking for when i pruchased it .
Since then i would like to upgrade , and prodimatly take surf photography, from the land with a zoom lens,
Would greatly appreciate some advice on what Camera body to buy as the next step.budget 1000- australian $ second hand is fine.
Location is Sydney Australia.
Thanks if you can assist.

12-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to spend all $1000, you can get a used K-5, which will deliver best-in-class image quality and has a weather-sealed body.

If you just want an upgraded version of the 100d super, you could upgrade to the K-r. With that, basically you will get 50% more resolution, a bigger and better screen, faster autofocus, and better low-light performance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Does the $1000 have to buy the lens too?
Shooting from the beach... I'd go K5 too if cash allows, if only for the seals to keep the sand out...
12-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You might first consider a new lens instead, depending on what you use now. The lens situation is tricky. If you already use a higher-end 300mm, there's not much upgrade selection. Maybe the Sigma 50-500mm F/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM? If your current lens is more ordinary, a new lens might be a worthwhile investment. Older computers might have trouble with larger image files too; don't try to get by with 1Gb of RAM. But if you really want a new camera:

The newer cameras will offer more megapixels, better high-ISO performance and more frames per second. The megapixels make it easier to crop a photo. With the K100DS sensor, you almost can't afford to lose any pixels to a crop, but with 12-16 megapixels, there's some to spare. That can make up for not having a 600mm lens. You can use higher ISOs to make up for a slower lens, or shoot at sunset/sunrise, without reducing shutter speed. And continuous shooting is useful for action. I think other features are useful but I would rank the cameras by these three.

It's hard to argue against the K-5 because it's the current top of the line. It should fit into your budget used or possibly new depending on exchange rates and local suppliers. The only reason to not buy one is it spends the entire budget, so if you don't have the other stuff (lenses) then don't get a K-5.

With the K-r, you give up a few things. Weather sealing is one big one, and these cameras can't shoot as many frames per second. The camera is a step behind compared to the K-5 but well beyond the K100DS. The price should allow getting other stuff too. A K-x is a similar alternative, and should be a lot cheaper because it's a predecessor to the K-r. It uses the same sensor as the K-r. They both do video.

If you want weather sealing and don't want to blow the budget, a K-7 or K20D are good used options. The above cameras are all better at high-ISO shooting. These two have the top-line build of the K-5. The K-7 does video and the K-20D doesn't.

All those offer you at least a two-generation jump over the K100DS.

12-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the feed back, my lens are basic, but thought i would start the process with camera body first.
i know its not the camera that takes the good shot but the photographer but a good camera helps
ill start looking for a K5 or K7
thanks again.
12-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Good luck with your choice. The K5 and K7 would appear to suit your needs and represent the biggest leap forward for you. I've owned the K-r and K5 now (albeit briefly for the later) and can say that if I were shooting on the beach on a regular basis I would NOT have the K-r in my hands. The weather sealing on the K5/7 would be a huge factor for me. One of the things I am looking forward to with my upgrade from the K-r to the K5 is being able to keep shooting in the rain during soccer games