Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daffy2003 Quote
Hi Icywarm,

while my baby is sleeping and do not want to wake her with a flash (bounced or otherwise).
Last Sat my boy was napping and looking darn cute for a nap... I went into his room... I was Ninja quite... I got my 4x5 all set-up... focused... light meter set... load my film... I needed to adjust my shutter speed on my old cop shutter two notches... should have been nothing... click click... not even a click... like a pin dropping and bouncing twice... sure enough like a bolt of lightning... he awake... straight up... and huge smile... happy to see me... moving around like the daring he is... but my ISO 25 film and 6 sec shutter suddening seemed useless... so personally I don't know about worrying about waking her up with a flash... at least you'd have the photo...

12-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Last Sat my boy was napping and looking darn cute for a nap... I went into his room... I was Ninja quite... I got my 4x5 all set-up... focused... light meter set... load my film... I needed to adjust my shutter speed on my old cop shutter two notches... should have been nothing... click click... not even a click... like a pin dropping and bouncing twice... sure enough like a bolt of lightning... he awake... straight up... and huge smile... happy to see me... moving around like the daring he is... but my ISO 25 film and 6 sec shutter suddening seemed useless... so personally I don't know about worrying about waking her up with a flash... at least you'd have the photo...
Love the anecdote, however if my baby is anything like me then she will not be smiling when i wake her but will be giving me a fierce scowl followed by a lot of crying

Guess i worry to much, but this is to be expected of a first time father.
12-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Guess i worry to much, but this is to be expected of a first time father.
Don't worry about it, just wait till they turn 5 or 6, then they get all Dad obsessed, before then my kids were mummies boys.
12-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
LOL, love it... 4x5

12-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #20

Original Poster
Decision made....Pentax K5 it is

Hi Everyone,

Well i have decided to go for a Pentax K5 with 18-55WR and 28-75/2.8. My reasons for choosing the K5 over the A580 are as follows:
- Expect the K5 to be stronger in the long run (2+ years).
- I like the many customization options of the K5 over the somewhat limited A580.
- Viewfinder of K5 is bigger (A65 would of course be bigger, however in my area is out of budget).
- Quiet shutter
- Advanced controls which should suit my needs once i start "growing" as a photographer. This means i do not have to switch bodies in a year (or 2).
- Weather sealing, not a major point but may come in use as the climate i live in has plenty of rain/snow.

I can always buy a magnifier if i find that the K5 viewfinder is too small for detailed work, although i do not expect to need this as my focus will not be on Macro work.

I also decided on the Tamron 28-75/2.8 i.o. the Tamron 17-50/2.8 as i would have the 18-27 range covered by the WR lens and i do not expect to take a lot of wide angle pictures in the beginning. Will add a nice wide angle lens (prime?) later on.

I have also decided to check for "cheap" flashes to get more light balanced pictures, although the purchasing time of this will depend on when i can get a good deal.

Once again i want to thank everybody for their input and hopefully i will have my camera by next week.

Regards,
Daffy
12-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I suggest you consider also a relatively cheaper manual A50mm 1.7 for those low light shots.
12-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I suggest you consider also a relatively cheaper manual A50mm 1.7 for those low light shots.
If i can find one in my area at a good price i for sure will do this as it would also give me a good idea if prime lenses are suitable for me.

Regards,
Daffy
12-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Well i have decided to go for a Pentax K5 with 18-55WR and 28-75/2.8.
Very good choices!

Don't expect too much from the kit lens in terms of getting good low light shots. The K-5 will allow you to get away with high ISO settings, which helps, but you won't get the same shutter speeds and shallow DOF as with faster (brighter) primes.

Take your time, but make sure you pick up a fast prime some day. I think you are going to like it.

With respect to flash: The on-board flash will typically produce bad lighting. Gadgest like the Fong puffer promise to help, but their effect is minimal.

I'd get an old, cheap, manual flash and trigger it with a radio trigger to get it off-camera. You can use it on-camera as well as long as you bounce it off a wall or ceiling and its trigger voltage is low enough to not damage your camera.

In terms of radio triggers, I can recommend the Cactus V5 (or V4, if you want to spend even less and don't need the range and features of the V5).

12-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 35/2.4 is a good lens, it may not measure up to the 31 but it's also 1/5 the cost! You can find a lot of sample photos on this site. You mentioned a flash, I recently posted a question on flashes and got a lot of advice. I bought an AF280T used from KEH for about $61 shipped. Just received it yesterday and I think it will do the job. I'm still experimenting but it seems pretty easy to get at least close.
12-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Everyone,

Well i have decided to go for a Pentax K5 with 18-55WR and 28-75/2.8. My reasons for choosing the K5 over the A580 are as follows:
- Expect the K5 to be stronger in the long run (2+ years).
- I like the many customization options of the K5 over the somewhat limited A580.
- Viewfinder of K5 is bigger (A65 would of course be bigger, however in my area is out of budget).
- Quiet shutter
- Advanced controls which should suit my needs once i start "growing" as a photographer. This means i do not have to switch bodies in a year (or 2).
- Weather sealing, not a major point but may come in use as the climate i live in has plenty of rain/snow.

I can always buy a magnifier if i find that the K5 viewfinder is too small for detailed work, although i do not expect to need this as my focus will not be on Macro work.

I also decided on the Tamron 28-75/2.8 i.o. the Tamron 17-50/2.8 as i would have the 18-27 range covered by the WR lens and i do not expect to take a lot of wide angle pictures in the beginning. Will add a nice wide angle lens (prime?) later on.

I have also decided to check for "cheap" flashes to get more light balanced pictures, although the purchasing time of this will depend on when i can get a good deal.

Once again i want to thank everybody for their input and hopefully i will have my camera by next week.

Regards,
Daffy

Great choice!
Sounds like a good plan.
18-55 WR stopped down for the wide angle stuff where shallow DOF is not needed.
28-75/2.8 for the shallow DOF stuff.
Looking forward to see you post some photos in the near future
12-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here is a shot I took of my kid with the da 35. I paid 165 bucks brand new for it. It still can be found on amazon prime for that price HERE. I also had the 31 ltd but never fell in love with it. This 35 however is awesome.

Last edited by Deiberson; 12-16-2011 at 12:15 PM.
12-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

lot's of guys suggesting primes (i would normally as well) but it sounds as if you will only get 1 lens up front. then i'd grab the Tammy. shoot it for a while and assess where you shoot and then buy a prime in that category.
given the K5 Hi iso performance makes the need for a fast lens less critical than other cameras you might consider the 18-135 kit which will give WR, better performance than the 18-55 kit and let you assess a wider range of focal lengths before buying into primes (you may find the best prime for you is a 77 and not a 31. you'd never find that out with a 17-50 lens. then when the baby nails the camera with food the WR has you covered Rinse repeat
12-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looking at your lens list, I'd drop the kit lens, even if it's water resistant. The Tamron is so much better, at least mine is. It's the first lens I'd get for either camera.

Pentax seems to get much better low light performance out of the Sony sensor than Sony does. I've worked with files from both cameras and the Sony 5N. The K5 has less noise at high ISO.

Look through the EVF on the Sony A580 before making the choice. I don't find it that pleasant to use. The new A65 has a much better EVF. If you want the ruggedness and water resistance, go for the Pentax
12-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #29
Veteran Member

If i can find one in my area at a good price i for sure will do this as it would also give me a good idea if prime lenses are suitable for me
Where's your area?