Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #1

I want to use autofocus single mode but with everything else automatic. K-x

I frequently shoot photos where the the subject is not centered and this always causes the background to be in focus, and the subject blurry.
I found the menu where I would change to AF single mode, but the camera won't let me change the AF option in the Scene mode or Auto Pict mode or any of the other "easy modes" that I want to use.
I want to use AF single mode so I can focus on my subject, then recompose, but I want all other camera operations (aperture, shutter speed, etc.) to be fully automatic.
Am I out of luck here?
Thanks.

12-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just checked this out on my Km.

In any Auto mode I can half press to focus, recompose, and take a shot (holding shutter half pressed until I take the shot). I'm guessing this is just AF-A mode, but I'm not sure.

I can also go in the menu and change the AF button function to disable autofocus. As it sounds, this disables autofocus and the camera will shoot immediately without focusing.

In the menu for my Km this is under "C", "AF button function". (C.2.9)
12-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
In any Auto mode I can half press to focus, recompose, and take a shot (holding shutter half pressed until I take the shot).
That is called "AF single mode" because the camera focuses one single time, then holds that focus even if you change the composition.
My K-x won't let me choose this single focus mode while in any automatic shooting mode.
I know how to turn off AF. That is not my goal.
I want to use single mode autofocus with automatic everything else.
I can't seem to find a shooting mode that allows this.
12-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dairylander Quote
That is called "AF single mode" because the camera focuses one single time, then holds that focus even if you change the composition.
My K-x won't let me choose this single focus mode while in any automatic shooting mode.
You can't do this. I don't see it stated in the manual, but on my Km, when I go into any Auto mode the option to select AF type is grayed out and, therefore, unavailable. I assume it's in AF-A mode by default.

But it is what you want to do. At least for the time between when you focus and when you take the shot. That's actually another solution to your problem. Focus, flip the switch from AF to MF, shoot.

So, now you have three solutions to the problem.
  1. Have faith in the camera's AF-A mode to know when you want AF-S. So, half press and hold to focus, recompose, shoot.
  2. Assign AF button to disable AF (only does so while you hold it). Focus, hold AF button, shoot.
  3. Focus, switch to MF mode, shoot

The last two will reliably allow you to focus, recompose and shoot. I've no idea how reliable the AF-A mode will be, but it worked for all the times I tried it this morning.

12-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Check out the Program mode on page 104 of your manual. It can calculate your exposure automatically, biased the way you want towards aperture or shutter speed, you can set the ISO to fixed or a range, and you should have full access to the AF modes. Program mode can do more than this - it allows you to make changes to the exposure settings, but it's voluntary and much like auto mode if you opt not to alter it.

Another idea, although not quite what you asked, is to set the AF button on the back of the camera to be your autofocus, and have the half press of the shutter button do nothing, except for waking up the meter. This way you can confidently set focus with the AF button, and not risk losing it if you take your finger off the shutter.
12-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Page 117 of the manual; set the AF area to 'select'

Page 118 of the manual; select the AF point

I don't own a K-x but I can not find any reference in the manual that it should not work (except maybe for sports,kids and the likes). By the way, a K100D allows to select focus points, even in 'autopict' and other scene modes on the dial; it works in the modes that I tried.
12-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I want to use single mode autofocus with automatic everything else.
I can't seem to find a shooting mode that allows this.
Stop using the Auto Picture modes. You can do much better than the preprogrammed settings if you learn how to command the camera. Bryan Peterson's book "Understanding Exposure" is a good place to start, or there are a bazillion places on the net to learn about exposure, metering, compensation etc. When you want the camera to take over, just use Program (P-mode). It is auto mode, but lets you override the auto controls.

PS About 80% of the people on this site use Center Focus & Recompose most of the time.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-12-2011 at 11:06 AM.