Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-x? K-r?

Lots of traffic about K-r focus issues makes me somewhat wary. Want to upgrade from K100D, and am now considering used K-x in addition to used K-r. I shoot lots of flowers, landscape, indoor at times. In addition to the 2 kit lenses, I have a few manual lenses, and a great and cheap 28-90. Can folks assist with my pre-decisional conflict? Thx.

12-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Despite those issues I would still go for the K-r as it's got a nicer screen and better overall performance, especially now that it's being discontinued.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wait, you want to get a k-x in addition to a used k-r?
12-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No- trying to decide between the two. Sorry if I wasn't clear

12-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

oh - I have a k-x and I have handled a k-r in store. The k-r has quite a few more features that really make it a better entry level than the k-x. The light up focus points, 6fps, higher resolution screen, and lithium battery option (and AA battery option).

I think you can typically find a used one for about $100 more than the k-x on here, so it's definitely the better buy. As far as the issues go, I can't speak on that since I don't have the k-r.
12-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #6

Pentax has been taking its time to fix focus issue, but now that (1) the K-x is discontinued and (2) Pentax has just been bought again, I am starting to think they will never fix it. I have been waiting since Feb to see them fix the focus issue on the K-x before purchasing one - I am pretty much ready to quit and look at something else. Have you considered the Sony A65? Great IQ (in my opinion), will take all your M42 lenses and can shoot faster than the K-x.
12-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am committed to Pentax given small collection of lenses and brand loyalty since Spotmatic days. Thanks for responding- I am collecting data to inform my decision.

12-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Theoretically the replacement of the k-r should be coming up soon (discontinuation of the k-r, Pentax typical release of entry level has been shown to be at the beginning of the year, special edition k-rs popping up, rumor threads abound) - is that something to consider for you?
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure about current prices, but a K-7 might be an option. You'd give up high ISO, but gain a lot of other features.

It's hard to tell how bad the K-r focus issue is, but I would make my decision based on Pentax not fixing it.
12-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There's no hurry, other than the opportunistic price drop of used K-rs since it's discontinued. No problem with the K100D other than a desire to upgrade, and it would make a great gift for myself (from my family). But great advice- things to consider that I might (or have not) considered. And I agree that despite significant and vociforous clamoring and complaining (seen mostly on that other forum), Pentax will not fix the focus issue.
12-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've owned both. I just sold my K-r because I purchased a K5 on CyberMonday. I kept the K-x as my backup for two main reasons: it had more shutter actuations and hence would bring fewer $'s to offset the cost of the K5 and it uses AA batteries without an adapter which means one less charger system to worry about.

The higher resolution of the K-r screen and the illuminated focus points were big pluses for me with the K-r. However, I have all that with the K5 plus a bunch of other things.

Some things not often mentioned between the two:
  • The K-r has a better pop-up flash - its physically larger and pops a bit higher thereby adding reach particularly with hooded large diameter lenses.
  • Focus was a bit faster on my K-r for most of my lenses from what I could tell.
  • Genuinely no noticeable difference in continuous shooting when I was shooting my son's soccer with the DAL 55-300.
If you are buying used you have the opportunity to ask if the user has experienced any FF issues with the K-r. I honestly had not, but most of my photographs with it (by far the majority) were outdoors.

I am a huge fan of AA batteries. They just make sense as long as the weight issue does not become a real factor. For the K-X and K-r weight is NOT a factor IMHO. If you decide on a K-r I strongly advise you to get the AA battery adapter for it. You can ALWAYS find AA batteries but charging a proprietary battery is not always in the cards in my experience.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-14-2011 at 06:17 AM.
12-13-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If there is no urgent need, I would wait and see what the future brings.
12-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hman Quote
Lots of traffic about K-r focus issues makes me somewhat wary. Want to upgrade from K100D, and am now considering used K-x in addition to used K-r. I shoot lots of flowers, landscape, indoor at times. In addition to the 2 kit lenses, I have a few manual lenses, and a great and cheap 28-90. Can folks assist with my pre-decisional conflict? Thx.
I have a K-x and the resolution of the LCD screen doesn't help when I'm doing shots of flowers and plants. I believe the K-r's higher LCD resolution will improve perception of color and sharpness of the shot without having to upload it to a PC first. The AF assist lamp is also a big plus. In my opinion, the K-r is the better choice also based on your subject preferences (except maybe under indoor tungsten light which I am not very sure of). Good luck with your choice!
12-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for your input! Still not sure which way to go, unless I change every light bulb in the house to CFL!
12-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hman Quote
Thanks all for your input! Still not sure which way to go, unless I change every light bulb in the house to CFL!
I have the K-r and am very with happy with it. Is the FF focus issue your current showstopper? If so, just manually change the WB to tunsteng whenever you shoot indoor. Problem solved. Better if you could shoot RAW as it will give you plenty of room for post processing.