Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
exposure compensation k10d

hi, i just wanted to know how to manually set the compensation on my k10d. i don't know how to do it, can somebody help pls???

12-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Press the EV +/- button then turn the e-dial

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If you are shooting in (M)anual, there is no compensation function. Start at the camera meter setting, then you change any of the shutter/aperture/ISO settings accordingly to be over- or under-exposed as you feel you need.
12-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
oh that's what happened, i was shooting in manual, but the green button always underexposes my pictures so i wanted ev

12-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unlike most other bodies eV comp does not work on the K10. Really wish it did like my *istD
12-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Unlike most other bodies eV comp does not work on the K10. Really wish it did like my *istD
EV comp works just fine on my K10D. It just doesn't work in manual mode. Personally, I see no point in EV comp in manual. When I shoot in manual, I find it much easier to simply adjust the e-dials until the meter says the exposure is correct. If I disagree, I just add or subtract as I feel is needed. All this can be done with eye to the viewfinder.

IMHO, this is far easier than taking my eye away from the viewfinder, pressing the +/- button, twirling the e-dial to the desired compensation, go back to the VF, recompose, shoot and hope I remember to reset the EV comp for the next shot.

I realize that others disagree, but I just don't see the need for EV comp in manual.
12-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The camera is probably not "always" underexposing" - just scenes in which, for perfectly predictable reasons, you get a result that you perceive as underexpose but is actually correct. For instance, a scene with a bright highlight, or dominated by brighter than average objects (including the sky). So dialing in permanent EV compensation is a recipe for overexposed pictures (blown highlights) in the other situations. Better to learn the situations that cause the correct exposure to be darker than what you'd prefer, so you can just adjust exposure for those shots. Or learn to use "substitute metering" techniques - metering off the ground instead of a backlit subject, etc.

12-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The camera is probably not "always" underexposing" - just scenes in which, for perfectly predictable reasons, you get a result that you perceive as underexpose but is actually correct. For instance, a scene with a bright highlight, or dominated by brighter than average objects (including the sky). So dialing in permanent EV compensation is a recipe for overexposed pictures (blown highlights) in the other situations. Better to learn the situations that cause the correct exposure to be darker than what you'd prefer, so you can just adjust exposure for those shots. Or learn to use "substitute metering" techniques - metering off the ground instead of a backlit subject, etc.
yeah! i'm starting a photography class in the coming semester at my community college because there's a lot that i don't know. specially about lighting.
12-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
EV comp works just fine on my K10D. It just doesn't work in manual mode. Personally, I see no point in EV comp in manual. When I shoot in manual, I find it much easier to simply adjust the e-dials until the meter says the exposure is correct. If I disagree, I just add or subtract as I feel is needed. All this can be done with eye to the viewfinder.

IMHO, this is far easier than taking my eye away from the viewfinder, pressing the +/- button, twirling the e-dial to the desired compensation, go back to the VF, recompose, shoot and hope I remember to reset the EV comp for the next shot.

I realize that others disagree, but I just don't see the need for EV comp in manual.
there is a real need for EV comp in manual, and I'll give you some examples:

on the K10D especially, there is an issue with teleconverters and exposure, Let's say I want to use a TC on my sigma 70-200 F2.8 the TC feeds the lens data direct through the TC without modification of the aperture. As a result, in manual mode if I press the green button, I get a constant exposure error of about 1 stop with a 1.4x and 1.3 stops with a 2x,. I would love to take this error out with EV comp in manual as opposed to having to press green button and then reset the exposure for the error.

In flash mode, there is also a problem as I want to control exposure of ambient light but this is read incorrectly due to the same metering error, so I would need EV comp for my flash shots.

M42 lenses do not necessairly meter correctly , and require an offset because they do not touch any of the lens contacts, you may wish to add the offset if you are shooting in manual, to correct for this.

You may wish to deliberately bias your metering, for shooting,(eg high key or low key) but remain in manual mode so that you only set exposure occasionally, why not have EV comp as opposed to having to readjust each time, as readjustment means also you might just forget to do it and ruin a series of shots.
04-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #10

One issue I have with the K20D is the fact that its default exposure setting universally under-exposes the image. I feel this is true. Is there a way to set a step up EV permanently?
04-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #11

I have my K10D set from the menus so that in Av mode the front eDial is set to exposure comp. In Tv mode the rear eDial is set for exposure compensation. No need to press the +/- button.

On my Minolta film camera (X-700) the exposure compensation would work in manual mode. This was useful if you were pushing or pulling the ISO on the film. Another way to do this would be to set the ISO up or down from the rated film speed. A moot point on DSLR since there is no film to determine the ISO.
04-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Was going to comment, but realized that this is a zombie thread...

Steve
04-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I have my K10D set from the menus so that in Av mode the front eDial is set to exposure comp. In Tv mode the rear eDial is set for exposure compensation. No need to press the +/- button.

On my Minolta film camera (X-700) the exposure compensation would work in manual mode. This was useful if you were pushing or pulling the ISO on the film. Another way to do this would be to set the ISO up or down from the rated film speed. A moot point on DSLR since there is no film to determine the ISO.
Thanks
04-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
there is a real need for EV comp in manual, and I'll give you some examples:

on the K10D especially, there is an issue with teleconverters and exposure, Let's say I want to use a TC on my sigma 70-200 F2.8 the TC feeds the lens data direct through the TC without modification of the aperture. As a result, in manual mode if I press the green button, I get a constant exposure error of about 1 stop with a 1.4x and 1.3 stops with a 2x,. I would love to take this error out with EV comp in manual as opposed to having to press green button and then reset the exposure for the error.

You don't need exposure compensation in Manual Mode because you simply adjust aperture, shutter, or ISO to get the exposure you need, just like how Exposure Compensation automatically works in the other modes. Furthermore, why are you using the green button, when you can, and should be, using the histogram to get the exposure right?

In flash mode, there is also a problem as I want to control exposure of ambient light but this is read incorrectly due to the same metering error, so I would need EV comp for my flash shots. What form of flash are you using? That makes a difference.

M42 lenses do not necessairly meter correctly , and require an offset because they do not touch any of the lens contacts, ... Ah, no. The "lens" does not meter at all, the camera does all of that. Are you aware that if you want to get the exposure right with an old M42 lens, that you need to meter with the aperture set to what you want it to be when you actually take the shot? It's called Stopped Down Metering. If you do that, and properly use your histogram, then your exposure will be right every time.

You may wish to deliberately bias your metering, for shooting,(eg high key or low key) but remain in manual mode so that you only set exposure occasionally, why not have EV comp as opposed to having to readjust each time, as readjustment means also you might just forget to do it and ruin a series of shots. Turning the dial for Exposure Compensation takes the same number of clicks as it does to simply adjust shutter or aperture. It takes the same amount of effort and thought.

So again, in Manual Mode it's basically pointless to need Exposure Compensation.

---------- Post added 04-12-14 at 01:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by desiboston Quote
One issue I have with the K20D is the fact that its default exposure setting universally under-exposes the image. I feel this is true. Is there a way to set a step up EV permanently?

Learn to use the exposure histogram, and your exposure issues will pretty much evaporate.
04-12-2014, 04:51 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
So again, in Manual Mode it's basically pointless to need Exposure Compensation.

---------- Post added 04-12-14 at 01:09 AM ----------

Learn to use the exposure histogram, and your exposure issues will pretty much evaporate.
Wrong. It is about having reliable metering. When you put for example a TC on an. a series or later F2.8 zoom, the K10 will meter consistently 1 1/2 stops high . You have less than a second to see something push the green button and shoot. The moment is gone when you have to check the histogram, manually adjust aperture or shutter and shoot again.

That is the issue.