Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

shooting in the rain

Received a K7 with 18-55 and 50-200 WR lenses recently and I'm planning on going shooting in the rain at some point.

What do you wipe the lens with and camera body with whilst out shooting in the rain?

Afterwards when you get back home what is the best procedure for drying?

cheers

12-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just wipe with a towel and don't turn it on until both the camera and lens are dry; at least a couple of hours in my opinion. However, I usually remove the SD card and start looking at the photos anyway (no time to worry about the camera).
12-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
What do you wipe the lens with and camera body with whilst out shooting in the rain?
I do not wipe the lens or camera body at all while in the elements - the only part of the lens I wipe during rainy conditions is the front element if it needs to be wiped.

Why do I not wipe it? Well, think about it and it's not hard to figure out why...
12-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nope, no need to wipe it off unless it gets in the viewfinder or on the front element...

12-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With the DA*55 and its very deep hood. The front element
doesnt get wet in the rain. So I dont need to wipe it.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 12-13-2011 at 10:50 PM.
12-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Pat / dab? it down with soft, absorbent towel, when you get home.
I always remove the grip, pop up the flash, open the USB/HDMI and remote rubber covers and open the SD card door.
With everything open, I perform a visual for any pooled water and remove it if found.
I let the camera sit and finish drying before removing the lens for inspection of the mount.
As far as shooting in heavy rain, try to minimize zooming.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:48 PM.
12-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Good suggestions on wiping.

A couple of suggestions though.

1. carry an umbrella if you are working on a tripod. It makes life nice.
2. keep your lens shade on, camera lens pointed down and don't take the lens cap off unless you mean to shoot and replace it afterwards.
12-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't have a weathersealed camera (have a wr lens tho...) but I only ever wipe the frot element of my lenses with a soft 'microfibre' lens cleaning cloth...

For rain shooting with the K-x I carry a Tesco shopping bag with a corner cut out and an elastic band :-)

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 12-15-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: missed a bit
12-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I don't have a weathersealed camera (have a wr lens tho...) but I only ever wipe the frot element of my lenses with a soft 'microfibre' lens cleaning cloth...

For rain shooting with the K-x I carry a Tesco shopping bag with a corner cut out and an elastic band :-)
Although I have 3 WR bodies I dont have WR lenses. My approach is the following when things get damp. Wipe the body and lens off with an absorbant cloth, and try to not wipe as much as blot. wiping forces watter to move, usually into places you don't want.

A let things sit on a table to dry out.

I also consider that WR is insurance, NOT primary protection.

Look at it this way, the human body is also water proof, but you don't normally go out without a rain coat do you? why should your gear be different. I would consider a camera sleeve or plastic bag over the camera, relying on the WR only ig the bag fails or rips. WR is decidely NOT water proof.

If you notice that you do have a lens or display/viewfinder fog, when you get home, take out the batteries, open all covers , and leave the lens/body caps off to let things dry out, what causes cameras to fail from getting wet is not getting wet, it is shorting out something when they get wet under power.
12-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Haven't tried with a dslr but have used Spotmatics in the rain with the camera in a clear plastic bag with good results.Raindrops on the bag don't show up most of the time.
Jake
12-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Received a K7 with 18-55 and 50-200 WR lenses recently and I'm planning on going shooting in the rain at some point.

Afterwards when you get back home what is the best procedure for drying?

cheers
The K7 is weather sealed and allso those lenses so no need to worry, keep your lens hood and cap on at all times and only remove lens cap when you take a picture and store it in a dry place, otherwise replace with a dry cap =)