Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

is it worth it to get $20 warranty?

Ok I need to know is it worth it to get the $20 warranty on my recent purchase of a k-r? I have had it now for about 6 weeks. The reason why i am asking is for the one year follow up to see if the camera is working fine and for the repair company (pentax?) to make any adjustment to the camera if something is wrong?

Of course it's another $20 you need to send in to pay for return shipping. Has anyone done this with their camera? I guess what it really would cost is $40 for the whole thing. $20 for the maint. contract and $20 for return shipping.

I was told that the cost would be over $100 if I did not get the maint. agreement should I wanted pentax to take a general look see at the camera and figure out if anything needed adjustment.

12-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it is. See this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/167660-just-reminder-pen...anty-19-a.html

And yup, they will probably charge you a lot just for an inspection, although I wouldn't ever send my camera in unless I knew something was wrong with it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Cheapest warranty for electronics I have seen anywhere. It extends your total warranty to 3 years. Regardless of the checkup/adjustment. For $20 it should be automatic, just get it. Remember it is not third party warranty but Pentax warranty.

Actually I think Pentax should just make the warranty 3 years and add $20 to the price, but that's just me. I guess some would rather have the option.
12-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Dude, seriously, that should be a no-brainer.

12-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I can't get extended warranty locally (to my knowledge). If it was available, I would definitely do it for peace of mind.

If you shoot over 20,000 pictures per year, any issues will more than likely be found in the first year. If you, like me, only shoot about 2,500 pictures per year, it might take a number of years before a 'bad quality' component packs up and causes havoc. So for me the extended warranty will (partially) cover that.

20 bucks is how much? 3% of the new camera? There is just too much that can go wrong (and has gone wrong).

The 100 bucks is probably the inspection fee; add replacement of some electronics or a mirror assembly and you're far over that.
12-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Yes!
If I was able to buy this in Canada I would in a second....
12-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I started that thread because to me the answer is obviously yes. Realize that 2 years of coverage is about the cost of a cup of coffee at Starbucks (well almost these days).
12-14-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Great will try and go to a site and purchase this.

12-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Actually I think Pentax should just make the warranty 3 years and add $20 to the price, but that's just me.
+1. What can you do with $20 these days, that's basically two Big Mac combo filled with transfat
12-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #10
Zav
Pentaxian

Get it, get it, get it!
12-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Applianceguy Quote
Yes!
If I was able to buy this in Canada I would in a second....
but we already have a 2 year warranty, which is not available elsewhere
12-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

... and it entitles you to a FREE CLA during the warranty period.

I sent my K10D in on that part of the warranty, and it came back with an up-revved AF firmware. Little known fact... the K10D had a firmware update for AF that was only available through service.

Anyway, even without that, camera came back fully calibrated and clean. I kept it for another tow or three years as a result.

woof!
12-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
but we already have a 2 year warranty, which is not available elsewhere
And one more year if you bought it with a credit card such as Visa or MC as part of extended warranty.