Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Blinking Battery Charger

Hey Folks!

Title pretty much says it all. I just started to charge all my batteries for a shoot tomorrow, and I've got one battery in particular that when I put it ont the charger, the little green light blinks. I've got two chargers and it will do that on either, and I've tried other batteries and they act like normal, i.e. light stays on while charging and turns off when fully charged. I've never encountered this before, and am wondering if it is an indicator for something or what it might mean. Also, it's pretty much a brand new battery, a few cycles on it. Thanks!

Cheers,

Ben

12-14-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Goodaye Ben,Certainly sounds like a problem with that particular battery. If you cannot duplicate the fault with other batteries but you have the same problem with that particular battery on either charger then I reckon you've pretty well covered all possibilites and it comes back to that battery.
Maybe it was dropped, it can damage them internally so I've been told, maybe it was old stock sitting on a shelf for a long time before being sold.
You did not mention whether it was OEM or aftermarket brand as that can also have a bearing.
12-14-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

AFAIK, it means a dead battery, one it can't charge. You should try polishing the contacts on the battery, as I've had a bit of buildup on those drastically affect how well they charge, but I've never had the blinking light yet so it may not even help. Aside from that, return it if possible, and probably bin it if not. Sorry.
12-14-2011, 04:51 AM   #4

Hi Ben,
I assume in this message that you are using AA rechargeable batteries like for the K200 or Km, Kx, K5 with AA adaptor.
If not ignore the following as Philoslothical pointed with the right comment just below.
Depending on the charger feature it could mean that there is still a residual power and the blinking means that there is the discharging process going on. At times for a 2000mA battery could take also 4 hrs to fully discharge before restart the charging process.
A tip could be to insert the battery itself in a torch and let it discharge totally keeping the light on.
Shall all of this fail.... then you can be sure it is a faulty battery.
Kindest regards,
Ant

Last edited by Antanico; 12-15-2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Clarification and referred only to NMh batteries
12-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You're not supposed to fully discharge Li-ion batteries. I'm assuming OP is talking about the standard Pentax charger and battery for his model.

If you're talking about rechargeable AAs, maybe that's right for some types, but I've never encountered it.
05-10-2016, 12:46 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Sorry for digging out this old thread but today I encountered the same blinking Pentax charger with my original K3 battery.

And I think I know the reason why it was blinking (in my case). Prior I had my K3 connected to my computer via USB. I just forgot to plug it out and power it off. My guess is there is no or at least a very bad control of the charge status of the battery while the K3 is connected via USB and it seems to not power off the camera in time just before the current drops to low for the battery and maybe destroy it permanently, I dont know.

Nevertheless after pluging in the battery into the charger the blinking disappeared after 3 Minutes and it charged normally.