Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #16

Original Poster
Battery solutions !

THANK GOD FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU CC. !
YOUR POST WILL HELP MANY MANY MEMBERS HERE, NOW AND IN THE FUTURE !
I HAVE SPENT 2 MONTHS TRYING TO SOLVE THIS BATTERY ISSUE. I COULD NOT ACCEPT THAT, FOR A CAMERA AS POPULAR AS THIS FOR SEVERAL DECADES, THAT IN THIS COMPETITIVE WORLD THE ONLY CHOICE LEFT TODAY, WAS TO BE FORCED TO BUY THE "WeinCELL " FOR ABOUT $ 15. / EACH ( WITH TAX ). AS I NEEDED 10 OF THEM, IT WAS CRAZY. THE LITERATURE FOR THE WeinCELL CAUTIONED INACCURATE METER READING & INDIRECTLY, POSSIBLE DAMAGE TO THE ELECTRONICS IN THE CAMERA . . . IF WE DO NOT BUY THEIR BATTERIES. SO YOU THINK : PAY IT & NO FURTHER RISK, RIGHT ? ! TRUTH & REALITY TURN OUT TO BE THAT, AS TO THE VOLTAGE VARIATIONS, THE CAMERA PROTECTS ITSELF & WE HAVE A LOT OF CHOICES, AT REASONABLE PRICES AVAILABLE TO US.
IMAGINE HOW MUCH OF THIS SORT OF THING GOES ON IN OTHER , MORE CRITICAL AREAS LIKE HEALTH & PRESCRIPTIONS ! ? WHERE TIMING & URGENCY ARE GOVERNING FACTORS !
I HAVE ONE MORE BATTERY PROBLEM :
FOR THE " GOSSEN - LUNASIX " LIGHTMETER.
IT USES THE PX13 CELL. DISCONTINUED !
AFTER A MONTH OF RESEARCH & MANY CALLS & EMAILS, THE BEST I GOT WAS FROM GOSSEN THEMSELVES. THEIR SOLUTION : THEY CREATED A VOLTAGE REDUCING CONVERTER ( PX14 ADAPTER ) THAT TAKES 2 #357 CELLS, THEN THE ADAPTER DROPS THE VOLTAGE OF THOSE 2 CELLS TO THE REQUIRED 2.7 VOLTS THE METER EFFICIENTLY USES.
THE ADAPTER SELLS IN THE RANGE OF $60 - $100.
( LUCKY FOR ME I DON'T NEED 10 OF THEM !)
AGAIN, IT IS ONE OF THE FINEST GERMAN LIGHT METERS. IT HAS BEEN MADE FOR DECADES ALL OVER THE WORLD, USED BY PHOTOGRAPHERS WIDELY.
HOW IS IT POSSIBLE A BATTERY IS NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE ??? !
IF ANYONE HAS SOLVED THIS, PLEASE WRITE, AS SURELY MANY OF OUR MEMBERS USE THIS METER !
THANK YOU EVERYONE THAT HAS HELPED WITH THIS,
JIMMY

01-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The problem is that mercury cells were outlawed due to environmental and health concerns. (Of course, now lithium batteries are in wide use, and mercury is likely no worse...) Manufacturers didn't complain, since they would be selling new models of cameras and such anyway. It's just us users who don't chase after the latest thing that suffer. I suspect mercury batteries were too cheap and easy to produce, so the change may have been pushed to reduce competition!
C.R.I.S. also makes voltage dropping adapters for PX625 and PX13 cells. Many old cameras used these, and CRIS and Wein are the only direct replacements I know of. The Wein cells last about a year, but hold up to heavy use; while the CRIS adapters last longer if unused, but may not have as much capacity for constant use. Camera technicians also can recalibrate or balance the circuits of most cameras to work with the 1.5V batteries available. I'm not sure about the Lunasix. I've had a LunaPro (digital) - but I think that took 1.5V cells.
01-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #18

Original Poster
proper placement of the battery in the spotmatic ??
the flat side of the button cell battery ( with the printing & the + )should fit into the camera battery lid & the other " stepped " side should be placed down into the battery slot, facing the lens . . . Right ??
one of the spotmatics came with a # 394 battery with the blue rubber ring in the camera placed the opposite way !!??
does it matter which way it is sitting in the camera ????
jimmy
01-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bulic Quote
proper placement of the battery in the spotmatic ??
the flat side of the button cell battery ( with the printing & the + )should fit into the camera battery lid & the other " stepped " side should be placed down into the battery slot, facing the lens . . . Right ??
one of the spotmatics came with a # 394 battery with the blue rubber ring in the camera placed the opposite way !!??
does it matter which way it is sitting in the camera ????
jimmy
correct, the battery neg side faces down into the cavity connecting to the center terminal, or if you like, the + marked side of the battery faces up.
BTW if the battery was upside down it would most likely short out and die quickly, unless extra insulation was fitted. Theoretically the meter should operate in reverse

sorry I can't help you with the light meter problem I'm not familiar with the product and don't know if its voltage sensitive. What I do know is that PX13/MR9 size (15.5m dia.x 5.5m) Zinc Air battery (1.4V) is not available from my regular suppliers. I will look into this further, However the P675 size (11.6m dia. x 5.4m) Zinc Air (1.4V) to suit spotmatic is a commonly used type for hearing aids and is available from Farnell/Element14 cat#5058239 "Vatra Zinc Air P675 / PR44 Pk6" for A$11.50 +gst , that's under $2 each. Check your local Electronic component suppliers, duracell also make a similar battery as do others!

01-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just been reading info on the website for the weincell batteries, they claim a longer life than the hearing aid types, that may well be the case, I'm not sure why that would be, but I would put it to the test, and try some of the ones I mention and see how long they last, the current draw for the spotmatic meter is very low and I'd be surprised If you didn't get a reasonable battery life. ( of course If you find the 1.5V battery types satisfactory then this really doesn't matter)
I'm not sure about the light meter as I don't know what the current draw is. The adapter may be a reasonable solution for the light meter, an alternative would be to have the light meter modified to insert a high efficiency diode or schottky diode in series (in line) with the batteries and use 2 silver oxide batteries. ( 2 x 1.55V = 3.1V less .4V due to diode forward voltage drop = 2.7V ).
02-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here is the most comprehensive link to solving this problem.
Google this site.....
cseyve.free.fr/photo/manuels/AdaptateurMR9maison.pdf
then download the pdf.

The pdf file download discusses the issues around mercury cells, the options for replacement and a step by step guide to make your own adaptor.
02-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Here is the most comprehensive link to solving this problem.
Google this site.....
cseyve.free.fr/photo/manuels/AdaptateurMR9maison.pdf
then download the pdf.

The pdf file download discusses the issues around mercury cells, the options for replacement and a step by step guide to make your own adaptor.
phew, every thing you ever wanted to know about batteries, good post!...
personally I think the best option is to mod the equipment with appropriate diode(s) to use silver oxide cells, but hey I'm a tech. I personally would be a little embarrassed to charge my minimum bench charge for such a simple job and would do it for a few dollars, I think you would find a sympathetic tech to help out. Now, doing the mod to a camera, now that's a different matter probably best to use an adapter.