Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC 85mm 1.8 problem

I was lucky enough to just get a SMC 85 f1.8. The lens is in good overall condition except the metal band between the aperture ring and focus ring is loose. The two little screws that hold it down are present but, obviously, not tightened. Based on my Takumar 105 F2.8, I'm thinking the little red diamond under the distance scale window should be positioned above the 1.8 aperture marking with the lens wide open. Can I just eyeball it and tighten the screws or are there specific contact points for the screws in the underlying metal? Thanks. Brett

12-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have this lens and can't find a good photo of it, so my advice is just from other lenses I've seen. The usual construction would have 3 screws, not 2. That might be why the ring is loose. The screws don't go into specific contact points, but usually the aluminum underneath is dimpled a bit from previous contact. You're right about alignment. The ring is normally trapped between the focus and aperture rings, so it won't fall off even with no screws, but it will be annoying flopping around. An eyeglass repair kit might have screws that are somewhat close to the right size.
12-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dave,
You are right about the third screw. It's inside the "lens made in Japan" engraving and I missed it before. I've tightened all three. Hopefully it will stay in place. Thanks for your reply. Brett