Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 04:20 AM   #1

Broken Hot Shoe

Hi I have been a proud owner of a Pentax system for many years, been through several film bodies and this past January I bought my first DSLR, the K-7.

Unfortunately, our local Pentax dealer went under a couple months ago, and of course I wouldn't have any problems till after the fact!

Last week the rails on my hot shoe somehow got smooshed in while I had my flash on. How it happened is a mystery. Anyways, when I went to take the flash off, not knowing about the damage, the hot shoe got yanked partially off. So now its bent and won't receive any hot shoe accessories at all.

Being a DIYer, and a college student (read: strapped for cash) I was wondering a few things:

1) is my understanding that the manufacturers warranty lasts one year, and would not cover this type of damage, correct? I cannot find documentation ANYWHERE. If it is covered, it only costs like 20 bucks for shipping, right?
2) sending it in for repair out of warranty could cost... a couple hundred?
3) if it isn't covered by the warranty, where can I find parts? I'm a total tinkerer and I'm confident this is a repair I can make.

Thanks,
Carl

12-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Warranty generally doesn't cover wear and tear, but if you say that it happened under normal use perhaps they'll budge. If not, maybe you'll be able to find a 'for parts' camera or the part itself on ebay.
12-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Several years ago, I dropped my K20 with my flash attached, the result was a broken foot on my flash ($6 part and a weekend to replace it - I don't recommend DIYing it), the camera was ok except that the popup flash would not stay closed because the top of the camera was deformed a bit. Sent it to CHRIS in Arizona for repair about $230 to replace the top of the camera and about 6 weeks to get it done. As a side note they also checked the camera out and cleaned the sensor as part of the service. So, while fixing your hot shoe may be easier that my repair they might just need to replace the whole top of the camera. You can talk to CHRIS (see the Pentax USA website) and try to get a parts list from them. I did for my flash and then I could order the specific part I needed for my flash foot.
12-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
has anyone done this repair? Ive done it on a canon and a couple minoltas. i just started tinkering and got the little plate insert thingy out, but the screws seem to come in from the bottom, not from the top like the other cameras ive worked on.

suggestions? insight?

12-23-2011, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by batvans46 Quote
has anyone done this repair? Ive done it on a canon and a couple minoltas. i just started tinkering and got the little plate insert thingy out, but the screws seem to come in from the bottom, not from the top like the other cameras ive worked on.

suggestions? insight?
In all Prior Pentax dSLR bodies the screws do come in from the bottom, your right. If you got the springy part out it seems you should be able to bend the tabs back into close enough shape. However I really can't visualize your problem. But I can give you the service manuals for most dSLRs up to the K20D. The method of holding the flash shoe should be about the same. The PDFs will ask for a password its in the file you download and unzip. But to make life easy and since I look at them so many times I have it memorized (yes a boring life lol...) its 8639.

Downloads

Pentax USA is pretty good at letting you order parts. However many times parts such as the top are shipped as one piece (not sure with the K7). That will have the Mode dial, hotshoe, and some smaller parts already installed. But I realize it would be much more easy for you to just unscrew the four screws that hold it together below the top. So if you need to order a part and they say they don't have that part number ask if you can order the whole top assembly. Then just take the pieces off you need. The prices are really low as well!
12-27-2011, 06:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
One or two of the screws seems to have stripped completely out of the hot shoe bracket itself, but has not extracted back into the body. So even if I could get the lil buggers out I would have stripped screws and/or stripped holes in the hot shoe bracket.
12-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #7

Bummer, my 10D took a slide off the couch with the flash and bounce attached. This time it broke the camera hot shoe and not the foot on the flash (I have replaced that 2x). I was hoping that I could do the repair myself but it may just be better to send it in for a little tune up. Thanks for the info!