Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1000 + "newer" lenses

Is there any possibility of damage to an A/ F /FA lens (thinking of contacts / screw drive) by equipping to an old body that predates them? Cheers.

12-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No.

You won't get full functionality. You may get vignetted images. But you won't damage the lenses. Not unless you really work at it. [/me eyes hammer]
12-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You should be fine with those- the wear is minimal and you won't get vignetting unless it's a DA lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The contacts and AF screwdrive are all spring-loaded and will simply be pushed out of the way on a K1000.

Remember that the K1000 has no way to control the aperture, so I would avoid the FA-J lenses, which have no aperture ring. They will mount, but they won't stop down. You can even mount DA lenses on a K1000, but since they have no aperture ring, they can only be used wide open. There may be some vignetting, especially with shorter lenses, but there will be no damage to either camera or lenses.

Paul Noble

12-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I have a couple FA lenses that I use on my K series film bodies and they work fine. The FA43/1.9 is a real gem on film and a perfect focal length.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 12-17-2011 at 02:05 PM.
12-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I have a couple FA lenses that I use on my K series film bodies and they work fine.
All the FA lenses are full-frame and will work well on a K1000. DA and FA-J and some DFA don't have an aperture ring -- that, and lack of AF, are what I meant by lacking full functionality. But the camera won't damage them.
12-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You might find this chart showing lens compatibility useful:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
All the FA lenses are full-frame and will work well on a K1000. DA and FA-J and some DFA don't have an aperture ring -- that, and lack of AF, are what I meant by lacking full functionality. But the camera won't damage them.
Yeah I kind of draw the line with the FA series, as the newest Pentax lenses that I can really use on my K series film bodies.

The FA 43 works fine, but the focus ring is a bit small compared to a K series manual lens. Actually the whole lens is a bit small if you have big hands, still it’s the FL that wins me over.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 12-17-2011 at 02:47 PM.
12-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cheers guys, questions answered - was mainly concerned about damaging the lens.