Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #1

stuck in Av mode

my camera LCD says it is in Av mode, whether in Green, P, Sv, Tv. Av, or Tav modes on the mode button. M, B, and X modes on the button shows up correctly in the LCD. I am using the Pentax 28-105 Power Zoom lens. thanks for any help.

12-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Which camera? I'm not familiar with that lens -- does it have an M/A switch? Being "stuck in Av mode" usually happens when a non-A-type manual lens is mounted. Does this happen with any other AF or A-type lenses?
12-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Similiar thread can be found here...

It could be that the Camera "thinks" you have a manual lens on. Maybe cleaning the contacts will help.
12-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
It could be that the Camera "thinks" you have a manual lens on. Maybe cleaning the contacts will help.
I was going to suggest that, but then there would be a flashing F-- on the LCD screen too. OP has this same question in another thread -- is using a K20D. If the problem manifests with other lenses, it could be a camera problem. If it's only this lens, then it may be time for another lens. Or a good cleaning.

12-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you set the aperture ring to "A"?
12-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #6

Original Poster
the camera is K20D. then lens is a Pentax FA lens, no m/af switch. I will try everybodies suggestions. thanks for the help...OOOOPS, just realized I had taken it off "A" button, now its not "stuck on Av"
12-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
thx, you were right, I had taken it off "A" locked

06-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Which camera? I'm not familiar with that lens -- does it have an M/A switch? Being "stuck in Av mode" usually happens when a non-A-type manual lens is mounted. Does this happen with any other AF or A-type lenses?
Hi RioRico, can you please kindly confirm this? I mounted a M lens and the same thing happened, i.e. stuck in Av mode for P, Sv, Tv, and TAv. It's kinda worrisome so I just wanna confirm that this always happens to M lenses (I don't have auto lens to test... )
06-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
Hi RioRico, can you please kindly confirm this? I mounted a M lens and the same thing happened, i.e. stuck in Av mode for P, Sv, Tv, and TAv. It's kinda worrisome so I just wanna confirm that this always happens to M lenses (I don't have auto lens to test... )
Yes, manual lenses can only be used in Av (but the aperture will always stay open, during picture taking) or M. In M the aperture is stepped down correctly during expsoure and you can have a kind of semi-Automatic, when you push the Green Button, which takes an expsoure reading and sets the correct time for the aperture you have chosen.

Ben
06-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
This article might be of help:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: