Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K-X, K100D Focus Screen Compatability

A couple of years ago I installed a Katz Eye screen in my first DSLR, a K100D. I did a hamfisted job and damaged the original K100D screen in the process. But I did get it in place, dirt and all and it works. I've just acquired a K-X and would like a Katz Eye in it. The obvious thing would be to install the one from the K100D since Katz says one size fits both cameras. My question is, will the screen coming out of the K-X fit in the K100D? Thanks. Brett

12-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by afvn72 Quote
install the one from the K100D since Katz says one size fits both cameras.
Well, if Katz says it will work I suppose they should know, yes? Did you check their website?
12-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Their website says the K100D and K-X take the same Katz Eye screen. My question is if the factory K-X screen works in the K100D.
12-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter

My question is if the factory K-X screen works in the K100D
Ah, I see. Missed that. All I can say is yes it will fit because the dimensions have to be the same. The problem might be in the shims required. When you bought the Katz-Eye they supplied shims to make it fit properly. It is possible that different shims might be needed in a different camera. Only way to know is put it in and calibrate it.

But the screen has to physically fit or Katz-Eye could not sell the same one for both cameras.

12-18-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When you bought the Katz-Eye they supplied shims to make it fit properly.
Duh?
I bought Katzeyes for both K100D and K10D and no shims were supplied.
12-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My Katz Eye didn't have shims either.
12-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter

My Katz Eye didn't have shims either.
Sorry, made the assumption they would. I bought my screen from focusing screen.com and they supplied shims to make it fit. Maybe that's why the Katz-Eye is more expensive. It took quite a bit of fiddling with the shims and a layer of scotch Tape on the edges to get my screen to focus precisely with fast lenses wide open.

All I was trying to say is that the screens have to physically be the same dimensions. The only possible deviation would be in the thickness and the shimming required, if any. The k-x comes with a metal shim and the replacement screen came with several plastic shims of varying thickness. Pentax also provides a set of metal shims of varying thickness you can order from parts. I ended up removing the metal shim and using two of the plastic ones plus a single layer of tape.