Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #1

*istD L2 problems with shutter speed

Hi, I own this camera. I have a problem. Appears on manual sometimes I cannot get the shutter speed any higher than 1/180?? Also, it appears regardless of what shutter speed I pick, if the flash is up the camera picks its own shutter speed??

For example I shot a picture at f4.0, SS 1/125.. Seemed under exposed to me (via histograms). So I increased the shutter speed to 1/60... There was no change to the histograms AT ALL.. Also the shutter speed did not change either??

Is my camera broken??

Thanks

12-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1/180s is the maximum shutter speed for the on-board flash, so no, your camera isn't broken.

Your photo might have been too dark because there wasn't enough light- either use a way longer shutter speed, higher iso, larger aperture, or a more powerful flash.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also, whe shooting with flash, shutter speed is mostly irrelevant. Only aperture and ISO affect exposure with flash, since the duration of the flash itself is far shorter than the shutter. You might want to find a good basic book on photographic concepts to learn anout how flash works.
12-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Also, whe shooting with flash, shutter speed is mostly irrelevant. Only aperture and ISO affect exposure with flash, since the duration of the flash itself is far shorter than the shutter. You might want to find a good basic book on photographic concepts to learn anout how flash works.
I have to disagree with that statement, if you select manual shutter speed, you can have the shutter speed whatever you want, as long as it's slower than the sync speed. the flash wil light up the foreground subject, while the long exposure will brighten the background. this is a technique I use frequently taking nightshots of Niagara Falls with people in front of it.

Tuggie

12-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yes, you can have have the shutter speed set at anything slwoer than the sync speed - but until you get it so slow that ambient light starts to affect exposure (which might not happen until you get in the range of several seconds), shutter speed won't affect exposure, for the reason I stated. For example, there will no visible different between a 1/90" and a 1/180" exposure when using flash unless you also have your ISO cranked way up and are shooting at a large enough aperture for 1/90" to actually result in a decent exposure.